Good value speaker cable advice please.

Options
123457»

Comments

• robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2010 at 9:21PM
    Options
    Thanks for the Van Damme cable info, might be worth a go to make up some new leads for my disco gear........ Seriously as this discussion descends into navel gazing and the importance of trifles, no one has considered the theories and practice in the persuit of the definitive Hi-Fi sound by Peter Belt from the late 80's on. see here:

http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/110/

I seem to recall, he was pulling the wadding out of speakers, and using single core mains cable with the insulation removed to connect amp and speakers, and other" tweaks" like removing the insulation from the cables from the cartridge down the tonearm on the turntable to the amp.

I'm happy with QED Silver Anniversary, from a valve amp to some AE speakers, mind you I got the cable cheap. The best sound is what sounds good to you, your neighbour or Uncle Joe is'nt living with the sound, you are......If 13 amp cable sounds OK to you who am I to disagree.
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    robredz wrote: »

I'm happy with QED Silver Anniversary, from a valve amp to some AE speakers, mind you I got the cable cheap. The best sound is what sounds good to you, your neighbour or Uncle Joe is'nt living with the sound, you are......If 13 amp cable sounds OK to you who am I to disagree.

id put the LC OFC van damme WAY above the silver QED for quality (ive had some, so know what they sound like)
    :idea:
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    What's 'accurate' about breaking an original sound up 48000 times per second, assigning a value to each of those 48000 samples , storing this data, then electronically reconstituting it back into a representation of the original?
    It's more likely to reproduce the original signal than a magnetic conversion like tape or a mechanical conversion such as record.
    Happy chappy
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    aliEnRIK wrote: »
    id put the LC OFC van damme WAY above the silver QED for quality (ive had some, so know what they sound like)

I might try the Van Damme cable next time I buy some.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's more likely to reproduce the original signal than a magnetic conversion like tape or a mechanical conversion such as record.

WHY?

(Oh, OK in 10 chars or more....)

WHY?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I will be too old to worry about this in the next couple of hours, however if I can't discern the difference between speaker cables at least I hope that they are at least to deliver the kick my ticker needs when I go flat line, whether they are in my ears or strapped to my chest. Use Hijack This 2.03 mm gold plated with banana plugs.... or iCables with 24ct plated Apple plugs :D
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure