Options

Comments

• Boa21
    Boa21 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 August 2010 at 10:03PM
    Options
    Hi

I have the both the CX300 II and a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 2's.

I am not too enamoured with the CX300's as they seem a bit low in volume for me. I am also not too keen on things stuffed into my ear canals. I use these when travelling on the tube etc when the Bose look out of place.

When flying, the Bose are the bee's knees. The best thing is that you dont' even have to have them plugged into anything, they just drown-out the hum.

Regarding the adaptors for the plane, Maplin sell these for a couple of quid and they look identical to those supplied by Bose.

Regarding price, I just looked at the Bose prices and could'nt believe they are now well over £300. I have had my one's for years and got them for £220 from a Bose outlet, with a free Bose CD player. Not sure I could afford a pair now.
    The force is strong in this one!
  • tstodart
    tstodart Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

About 5 years ago I purchased some Direct Sound Extreme Isolation headphones. I use them on flights - they are quite bulky but really quiet down the background noise, including crying babies and people talking. Great for listening to movies or music but I find them a little tight to wear for an entire long-haul flight (but more recent models may have improved). Even their top-of-the-line ones are less than £100 so are worth considering.

If you go the US Amazon site there are plenty of reviews of the latest products.
  • mrLazy
    mrLazy Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2010 at 5:59PM
    Options
    I travel alot with work including about 4 long haul trips a year. I have tried a few pair of noise canceling and for me they only have limited effect at a very limited frequency. Because of the air pressure you will find you need a little bit extra volume. Because of this you will find traditional earphones very quiet.

The best solution is a,for me at least, is a sound isolating earphone that uses a balanced armature driver. Most of the leading name brands use these in their premium products. This is what sound engineers use and alot of stage musicians.

I have tried a few diffrent brands and most are ok. I currently use a pair of Soundwise A1 which are the smallest and cheapest balanced armature earphones I have seen. I think they are around £50-60. Given that they sound identical to more expensive brand and they are smaller,which is good when you are carting about, then I would recomend these for travel. You can get direct or on amazon and maybe play amongst other places.

The sennheiser cx300 earphones are ok but not good for flights. Rule of thumb if you can buy in Dixons at an airport then its going to be S**t
  • Mazzawa
    Mazzawa Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys

Thank you all for your replies, very very helpful! Will be having a proper browse this afternoon for a pair.

Mazz
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I know I'm a bit late but my recommendation would be to look for a pair of Sennheiser HD25SP's. BA used to use them on Concorde. They're not too big and fold fairly flat, they're very rugged and they sound good too. I've often worn them for most of a long haul flight.

As far as Bose are concerned - you are paying for the marketing and you can usually find the equivalent to any of their products for far less. Bose simply don't belong on a forum devoted to money saving.

James.
  • argamemnon
    argamemnon Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    My Husband has these VIVANCO AIRCOUSTIC in beech the sound is great and you can't hear anything when he has them in no buzzing and he can't hear anything else around him whilst wearing them i'm not a all tecnical but i really rate them i have some Sennheiser ones not sure what model but there no where near as good..oh and by the way he plays his music at high volume
  • Boa21
    Options
    I know I'm a bit late but my recommendation would be to look for a pair of Sennheiser HD25SP's. BA used to use them on Concorde. They're not too big and fold fairly flat, they're very rugged and they sound good too. I've often worn them for most of a long haul flight.

As far as Bose are concerned - you are paying for the marketing and you can usually find the equivalent to any of their products for far less. Bose simply don't belong on a forum devoted to money saving.

James.

I can't disagree on the price front, but the Bose came out best in a recent Gadget show test. So if you can afford them? (not sure I could at today's price, but just replaced the ear pads for twenty quid).
  • JimboMahoney
    Options

James.

Heh, small world! My name is James too and I have exactly the same advice.

I bought my HD25SPs from Ebay and they are actually ex-Concorde and have the BA logo on them :D

There's a reason why people joke that Bose = Buy Other Sound Equipment...
  • Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    Options
    Bose are overpriced rubbish.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • Boa21
    Options
    Just before our trip to Las Vegas I spotted some Sony noise cancelling headphones (not isolating) in M&S for £50. I found them on Amazon for less than £30 and bought a set for my wife.

While they don't compare to the Bose they were very good at reducing the background drone of the aircraft - for that price you cannot go wrong.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRNC7B-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B001TUYQRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282959614&sr=1-1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport