Funeral Expenses, What happens if person cant pay?

Options

Comments

• Liquorice_Twirls
    Options
    I used to help arrange these funerals when I worked for a Social Services department a few years ago. Most of the cases were where the deceased had no family that were in contact and wanted to/were able to arrange the funeral. We would try and make contact with any family that were known to enable them to make arrangements (and obviously pay for the funeral), however sadly many people either had no family still living or we were unable to find out who the family were.

I wouldn't say that the funerals were quite as stark as described, as in my experience funeral directors act in a very professional and respectful manner, and often neighbours or care workers attend the funeral, very few have no one at the service. We would try to find out if the deceased was a church goer for instance and if so a vicar would conduct the service.

It is sad to think how isolated/estranged from their family some people are.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When a person dies, can they only be buried/cremated in the borough they live? or does this apply only if the council are paying it? Just wondered?

They can be buried/cremated anywhere. If the council were paying they would obviously arrange it locally.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When a person dies, can they only be buried/cremated in the borough they live? or does this apply only if the council are paying it? Just wondered?

You can be buried/cremated anywhere if you are paying but it's normal for the funeral directors to arrange that you are buried/cremated local to where the family live as it's cheaper.

It also does mean that you are often not buried/cremated in the exact local area as due to shortage of land and the change in boundaries over the years, boroughs often have graveyards/cremation facilities located in neighbouring boroughs.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice, you have all been really helpful with this matter.
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Council is the payer of last resort. However, they do put a claim against the estate. So, once the house clearing company have been in and say the contents are worth £x then the council will put a claim against that.

As lisyloo says, it is the minimum but its even more minimum than that. No service or ceremony. Cardboard coffin and straight in to the furnace.
    What if the person has no estate and no money? and just in a care home, all the have is what they have in their room.
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options
    I used to help arrange these funerals when I worked for a Social Services department a few years ago. Most of the cases were where the deceased had no family that were in contact and wanted to/were able to arrange the funeral. We would try and make contact with any family that were known to enable them to make arrangements (and obviously pay for the funeral), however sadly many people either had no family still living or we were unable to find out who the family were.

I wouldn't say that the funerals were quite as stark as described, as in my experience funeral directors act in a very professional and respectful manner, and often neighbours or care workers attend the funeral, very few have no one at the service. We would try to find out if the deceased was a church goer for instance and if so a vicar would conduct the service.

Problem is some family just dont want to help out or pay. If there is only one person and they just dont have the money to pay for it, would the council or SS then take over?
  • Ladywriter1968
    Ladywriter1968 Posts: 913 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2010 at 9:16PM
    Options
    This quote from the form copy and pasted below:

A Funeral Payment made from the Social
    Fund will have to be paid back from the estate
    of the person who has died. The law says that
    funeral expenses must be paid before
    anything else is paid from the estate.
    By estate we mean
    ❉ any assets such as property, land, stocks and
    shares, savings and any other money or cash
    belonging to, or owed to, the person who has
    died
    ❉ any money that comes into the estate after the
    person dies.

The person was previously a council tenant
    The person is in a care home
    They have no money or assets

If the social fund want it back from persons estate, they cant get back what don't exist, so does this mean they wont give out the social fund then? or they will and relatives have to pay it back?

How do you read this? Opinions welcomed
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the social fund want it back from persons estate, they cant get back what don't exist, so does this mean they wont give out the social fund then?

No it means they won't get it back.
    or they will and relatives have to pay it back?

No.
    Relatives are not responsible for any debts in the estates.

Of course they cannot expect to inherit until this debt is paid first.
    How do you read this?

Looks pretty straightforward to me.
    It's deducted from the estate as the debt of the deceased.
    If there is money there it will be deducted before anyone inherits anything.
    If there is no money then the council have to write it off.
    No-one is responsible for anyone else's debts.
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options
    A friend told me today that her friend was in the same situation and the council paid for her parents funeral, but then later the council sent her the bill of over £3000 and she had to pay the money back to the council within so many days as well. Even though she went to them cause she could not afford it in first place, as she was direct next of kin the bill went straight to her to pay regardless of her situation.

So from the information I gather have gained. The council only right off the debt if they cant contact any family cause you cant get nothing out of nothing. But if there is family the council still hit them with the huge bill at the end of it, despite the families poor situation.

Any comments welcome on this. If you know about this sort of thing as well. have knowledge of this area or even work for the council on that side of things, any info useful. cheers. [/QUOTE]
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options

How far did you take it for point of contacting families of relatives dying? I mean, would you for eg?

Only try and contact direct next of kin? or cousins as well?
    Plus was it limited to UK only or would they check abroad as well.

A friend also told me that her friends parent died recently and although she did not have the money to pay and could not claim any help the council did arrange and pay for it all, but then they sent her the bill of over £3000 and she had to pay it, even though she told them she didnt have it. Otherwise if she did, she would have gone to a funeral directors herself and paid for it outright really.

How can they expect say an only child to pay for a parents funeral if they are poor? they cant pay what they dont have? I know they say the rest of the family can help, but what if the rest of the family dont give a hoot and refuse and then its all on the shoulders of the next of kin which isnt fair on them and a lot of stress.

Can you give any more info, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport