Windfalls and IVA's

Options
This is more of a hypothetical question really, but one that i have often wondered about.

The terms of my IVA state that any windfall i recieve over £200 i have to declare which is fair enough. However, if for example you won the lottery and say won £100,000 how would the supervisor deal with the windfall vs the amount of your IVA?

For example, i have one year left of my IVA. Would they look at the £100k and say you would have to pay back the original total of your debt, or would they just make you pay off your remaining twelve months payments?

Obviously i havent won the lottery, but it something ive always been curious about and would be interested to know the answer!

Comments

• debtinfo
    debtinfo Posts: 7,012 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on how the agreement is worded but most of the time it would be the full amount of the debt plus statutory interest at 8% per year plus the IVA fees, less any money paid so far

so quite expensive
    Hi, im Debtinfo, i am an ex insolvency examiner and over the years have personally dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases.
    Please note that any views i put forth are not those of my former employer The Insolvency Service and do not constitute professional advice, you should always seek professional advice before entering insolvency proceedings.
  • daisydiary
    Options
    i am in the postion of only having 3 months left on my IVA but will inherit money before the end. ? what are my options can I give it away ? before it's in my bank account . will the probate/tax office inform my superivisers ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure