under sink waste disposal unit

am in the process of planning new kitchen and would really like to give a waste disposal unit a try as I get fed up with food drips down the side of the bin from my messy family, has anyone tried one or got any tips - if you have one do you have a surface air switch or do you use a remote and are they effective.
any advice appreciated

Comments

• Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    I have one. It is an Insinkerator and has a surface air switch. I think it was around £100 or so when I had the kitchen done. I find it brilliant, esp as I have 2 small children who are very picky with their food! I have a bin that can fill right up and doesn't smell :D
    I would definitely recommend anyone to get one!
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We have an ISE too, it was about £250, it's quite a big, powerful one. The switch is in the neck of the unit, operated by turning the plug insert in the neck. I find this more convenient than the ones where you have a totally separate switch.

With this, and recycling, we have very little rubbish to be collected. We have used ISEs since 1981 and find them very good. Also very easy to fit.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We've got ISE too, wouldn't be without mine. We've always had one (since 1971) and have really missed them when we were waiting to do the kitchens up when we moved. This time has been the worst, nearly 4 years of waiting for planning and building works to be done. Very handy in the hot weather too, keeps the maggots out of the dustbin. eeek.
  • khakilad
    khakilad Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ISE make some of the best disposers, however when looking for one, make sure that you get one with a Stainless steel grinding ring and chamber.

Some of the cheaper ones use galv steel and will rust quite quickly.

Another point is, people think it is bad to grind bones such as chicken carcasses and peach stones quite on the contrary. They are good for the disposer and will keep it clean.

Make sure to use lots of water and it will last a long time, although don't put bleach down them!
  • Karins
    Karins Posts: 83 Forumite
    thanks for all the replies I will definitely give it a go either the Insinkerator 55 or the Franke 500 both look ok for my needs but the Franke has got an 8 year warranty - I will speak to the kichen guy and see what he thinks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure