tax credits for my parents

Options
right just being the nice daughter here so thought i would see if mum and dad could get tax credits as i no nothing about it and mum doesnt either, they also have a morgage and i moved out a while ago

mum works 21 hours a week with odd bit of overtime, was wondering if she can get her meds cheaper under low income or free because of her health issues very bad asthma, exctma , depression etc mum has had to have time of though because of her health

dad works 38-40 i think

mum said income at a rough guess is between 16k to 19

any help would be great thanks x

Comments

• DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    ash4becks wrote: »
    right just being the nice daughter here so thought i would see if mum and dad could get tax credits as i no nothing about it and mum doesnt either, they also have a morgage and i moved out a while ago

mum works 21 hours a week with odd bit of overtime, was wondering if she can get her meds cheaper under low income or free because of her health issues very bad asthma, exctma , depression etc mum has had to have time of though because of her health

dad works 38-40 i think

Is the £16k income a combined income or just your mother?
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Does your mother have a prepaid prescription card?
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    Options
    income is for both of them, yes she does have a pre pay but friend of mine said he got one for asthma why i was wondering
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    If there joint income is more than £18,100 a year, you probably don’t qualify for tax credits unless either of the following applies:
    • your partner is 50 or over and going back to work after claiming qualifying out-of-work benefits and will be working 16 hours or more a week
    • your partner has a disability
    This is assuming they have no dependants.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    ash4becks wrote: »

dad works 38-40 i think

If they are working sixty hours a week between them, then unless they are working for less than minimum wage, their income will be higher than £18,100.
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport