Wall Lights Wiring

Options
Hi, I've just bought some new wall lights which have blue/brown/green&yellow connections.

When I have unscrewed the old lights I have the following :-

green&yellow
1 black
2 twisted and joined together red
another 1 black

I have joined the green&yellow with the green&yellow.
I have joined the 2 twisted togther red with the brown.

When I joined 1 of the blacks to the blue it didn't work.
When I joined the other black to the blue it worked but then wouldn't turn off at the switch (ie. was on all the time)
When I twisted the 2 black together and joined to the blue it didn't work.

Can anyone help please ?

Comments

• KillerWatt
    KillerWatt Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Options
    One of the blacks that you have should have a red (or brown) sleeve on it, this wire connects to the brown in the wall light (it is the live feed from the light switch).
    The other black connects to the blue in the wall light.
    The green/yellow connects to the green/yellow in the wall light

The other 2 reds you have that are twisted together do not get connected to anything, although if they are simply twisted together then I would put them in a connector block (together) and tape it up.

PS

If neither of the blacks are sleeved to indicate which one is the switch line, don't worry too much about it - just connect one of the blacks to the blue and the other black to the brown in the wall light.
    Make sure you don't forget the earth connection.
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KillerWatt wrote: »
    If neither of the blacks are sleeved to indicate which one is the switch line, don't worry too much about it - just connect one of the blacks to the blue and the other black to the brown in the wall light.
    Make sure you don't forget the earth connection.

Only one problem there is that if the fitting is a edison screw lampholder then the outer screw will be live rather than the contact in the middle which could lead to a shock if the op changed the light with the switch still on.

Op I would advise you to get an electrical tester to identify which of the two black wires is live when the switch is on, whichever black is live when tested should be placed in the connector with the brown wire on the fitting.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    KillerWatt wrote: »

mb just beat me to it

It never ceases surprise me the amount of bad and possibly dangerous electrical advice given by people who mean well on such forms

I am all for advice and support, but people should give correct and safe advice
    You should use a competent person for the work, links below
    In Scotland:
    Individuals registered;
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
    Companies
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/SearchRegCo.asp?T=Construction
    In England and Wales:
    http://www.competentperson.co.uk
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories