Rights as Long-Term Temp

Options

Comments

• bezzza
    bezzza Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    sharkie wrote: »
    Loyalty does not pay! You have to play the game and join a few different agencies. Always go to the highest paying job and play them off against each other.

If you get another job while working for £5, make sure the new offer pays more like £6. Even if the second job pays the same as the first, go back to first agency and tell then you have just been offered £6 and you wish to terminate the job, but still be kept on the books.

I would not advise telling them which agency or whom your consultant is in the other Agency.

Ooh dangerous game to play at the moment, in this economic climate. As there is so little agency work about at the moment agencies can afford to pick and choose who they put forward for assignments - if you don't want the wage they are offering there will always be somebody willing! I used to play agencies off against each other (10 years ago) when there was loads of work but once it started drying up you take what you can get and now there is little agency work even for minimum wage.
    :j:T Total Prize Value 2012 - £1835 :T:j
    :AThanx to all the good people that post comps (and answers!):A
    Be Good, Be Lucky, Be Happy:)
  • sharkie
    sharkie Posts: 624 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2010 at 9:49PM
    Options
    bezzza wrote: »
    Ooh dangerous game to play at the moment, in this economic climate. As there is so little agency work about at the moment agencies can afford to pick and choose who they put forward for assignments - if you don't want the wage they are offering there will always be somebody willing! I used to play agencies off against each other (10 years ago) when there was loads of work but once it started drying up you take what you can get and now there is little agency work even for minimum wage.

If you have another offer, then you have nothing to loose? our current agency will probably not promote your salary while you are currently earning them money, so hope you still keep in touch with the others.

Here in London, thing are picking up, especially over the last few months.

'... If you don't play, you won't win' :)
  • bezzza
    bezzza Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    sharkie wrote: »
    If you have another offer, then you have nothing to loose? our current agency will probably not promote your salary while you are currently earning them money, so hope you still keep in touch with the others.

Here in London, thing are picking up, especially over the last few months.

'... If you don't play, you won't win' :)

After reading through thread again ................ does R1tchk have another offer on the table at the moment? From my point of view I recommend keeping performance and productivity up at work until another offer is received as a reference will still be required and also if no there jobs are offered they still have this ongoing temp one - better to have something than nothing IMO
    :j:T Total Prize Value 2012 - £1835 :T:j
    :AThanx to all the good people that post comps (and answers!):A
    Be Good, Be Lucky, Be Happy:)
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Were the other 'temps' with the same agency as you. Different ones have different 'terms' attached and some agencies can ask rather too much of an employer if they want to take over employment of you directly, as opposed to carrying on through the agency. Have you skimmed through your agency contract to see if they'd charge the employer a sort of 'finders fee'?

Surely if you are interested in being employed directly by this company on a fixed term contract, rather than wanting to leave altogether or act all demotivated why don't you just make enquiries with your boss.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • R1tchk_2
    Options
    Yes the other 3 temps were from the same agency. There are 4 of us altogether in the department who have been temping for over 2 years... They have all been offered 6 month contracts and I haven't. It's not down to my work or attendance as they are extremely pleased with these. I'm thinking my face perhaps doesn't fit for whatever reason?! I was just wondering if they are within their rights to 'string' me along... I.e. Making me work my !!!! off for not much above minimum wage and expecting me to put up with that by dangling a 'carrot' of the potential fixed term contract or permenant position. As previously stated I was happy to do this until last week when I learnt of the appalling inequality. It doesn't seem right to me that employers can get away with this... It begs the question when is a temp no longer a temp?! You're either good enough to be employed or not.
  • justcat
    justcat Posts: 271 Forumite
    Options
    I know that after 4 years you have to be taken on as a permanent member of staff but that's it.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    justcat wrote: »
    I know that after 4 years you have to be taken on as a permanent member of staff but that's it.

How is it that you know that?
  • Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where an employee has been working under a succession of temporary contracts within the same organisation for a period of four years or more, any renewal of the employment at the end of the most recent fixed-term contract will be deemed to create permanent employment status. (See 3.1195 Acquisition of permanent status)
    http://www.xperthr.co.uk/employmentlaw/refman/4,492/temporary-workers.aspx
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pont wrote: »
    Where an employee has been working under a succession of temporary contracts within the same organisation for a period of four years or more, any renewal of the employment at the end of the most recent fixed-term contract will be deemed to create permanent employment status. (See 3.1195 Acquisition of permanent status)
    http://www.xperthr.co.uk/employmentlaw/refman/4,492/temporary-workers.aspx

I think that's about "temporary" employees, not agency temps who are not employees.
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    Options
    I think that's about "temporary" employees, not agency temps who are not employees.

That would be correct - agency workers are not included within this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure