Rights as Long-Term Temp

Options
Hi,

I have been temping through an employment agency with the same company for the last 2 and half years at a rate of approximately 40% less than permenant members of staff and or contracted staff with the company. I was happy to do this with the currect economic climate and the recruitment freeze that is in place within the organisation.

This week however I learnt that 3 other long-term agency temps , in a similar position to me have been offered 6 month contracts within the company (same department) at the same remuneration as permenant members of staff. I have not been offered anything and have not been told why I have not been offered a fixed term contract.

My productivity and quality is one of the best in the department and my attendance is 100%. Is this legal that they can offer contracts to others in my position but bypass me without explanation? This has seriously affected my motivation/appreciation and don't think I can continue in such an unequal environment.

Comments

• Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    Have you asked the employer?
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • R1tchk_2
    R1tchk_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I would prefer to know my rights before jumping in feet first and not having a leg to stand on from a legal point of view.
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They don't have to offer you a permanent contract legally.
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    R1tchk wrote: »
    I would prefer to know my rights before jumping in feet first and not having a leg to stand on from a legal point of view.

fair enough, I would hazard a guess that you have very little rights as you are employed by the agency and not the company who are using the agency.

Someone with more knowledge will let you know probably tomorrow but there is a similar thread recently
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have no rights. They must know you exist, so just chose (for whatever reason) to not offer you such a job.

Maybe the others asked for one, kept pestering ... maybe all sorts of reasons.

But you have no rights to any job, or being told about any job, or being offered anything, at all.

Maybe the others asked - and somebody just assumed you'd not be interested.
  • R1tchk_2
    R1tchk_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Roll on October 2011 when the Agency Workers Directive comes into play and unscrupulous employers can no longer get away with this kind of thing. As nice as it would be to hand my notice in come Monday I can't afford to. I'll just have to intensify my jobsearch and persevere with this until I secure something else although I can see my productivity and motivation falling through the floor from now on!
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    Roll on October 2011 when the Agency Workers Directive comes into play and unscrupulous employers can no longer get away with this kind of thing. As nice as it would be to hand my notice in come Monday I can't afford to. I'll just have to intensify my jobsearch and persevere with this until I secure something else although I can see my productivity and motivation falling through the floor from now on!

Yup, a significant drop in agency workers will happen.

• sharkie
    sharkie Posts: 624 Forumite
    Options
    Loyalty does not pay! You have to play the game and join a few different agencies. Always go to the highest paying job and play them off against each other.

If you get another job while working for £5, make sure the new offer pays more like £6. Even if the second job pays the same as the first, go back to first agency and tell then you have just been offered £6 and you wish to terminate the job, but still be kept on the books.

I would not advise telling them which agency or whom your consultant is in the other Agency.
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    Options
    Yup, a significant drop in agency workers will happen.

Nope - they will simply exploit the loopholes, which are plentiful :(
  • bezzza
    bezzza Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options

Before you allow your productivity and motivation to drop I assume you are going to approach your employers first to ask if you can be considered for any permanent/contract posts - there could be very good reasons why you haven't been asked yet - doesn't hurt to ask.
    :j:T Total Prize Value 2012 - £1835 :T:j
    :AThanx to all the good people that post comps (and answers!):A
    Be Good, Be Lucky, Be Happy:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills