New build - neighbours want fence

Options
2»

Comments

• MissBehaving
    Options
    Bloke wrote:
    d) If they put one up and I dont pay, am I allowed to colour the fence on my side in the future?

Wish I had thought to ask that question before we went ahead and put a stain on a picket fence that was on 'our property'.
    Being new to owning houses, we didn't know anything about the 'T' thingie on the land registry.
    So, a picket fence boarders our front garden. We have stained all the other fences around us, and it looks really good. Apart from this picket fence. We start to paint it, and neighbours that we had never met came storming out saying that we were not entitled to paint it as it was their fence.
    They wanted us to correct it.
    Surely a fence that faces us can be painted on our side?!? Anyways, we continued to paint our side and left the side that looks out onto the road.

We live and learn I say!!
    :dance: "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion". _party_
  • Lil_Dee_2
    Options
    Hello Bloke (I like that name, I does !!)
    Well, I'm on the "other side of the fence" to you (d'ya like how I did that !?)

I am a new build owner, but I was lucky enough to be able to save up before moving in (the build was six months late, so whilst living with the out-laws, they very kindly refused to accept any rent from us which allowed us to save up quite a lot during our time there). I am now looking to have a fence put up on my/our shared boundary. My neighbours have half-heartedly mentioned that they may like to put a fence up at some stage, but I took the opportunity to show them a brochure for the fence I'm looking at (Colourfence, if anyone's heard of them?) I'm happy to pay the full cost of this, as it's what I want, although they have said that they would be happy to chip-in.

Personally, because it's me that really wants the fence, and really wants a Colourfence, I'm happy to take the hit of the cost, as I'm quite sure it will cost more than a typical concrete post and timber fence panel would be. (I like the idea of not having to paint it every year, as I have ruined my clematis and honeysuckle, when I pry them off the fence before now).

If you were my neighbour, and you mentioned that you could do with not spending this money just now, I wouldn't begrudge you at all. If I didn't have the money to have the whole thing done myself, then I would accept that I need to save up, or wait until such time as you could help out. Isn't that what neighbours do ?
  • grumpyeggman
    Options
    when we moved into our council house our privately owned neighbours on both sides both took great joy in informing us "that's our fence".
    oh! so we don't have one then!!:confused:
    one even telling us how the previous tenant had the nerve to hang her washing line on her side of "thier" fence post.
    this apparently caused a huge kerfuffle.:mad:
    "oh dear",we thought.some people just seem to love confrontation.

a while later,when this same neighbour locked himself out he came round asking if we could slide a fence panel out from our back garden so he could get in his back door.
    we waited with bated breath to see if he said anything about the bird box,armoured cable to shed and hanging basket that we had hung on "his" fence.
    he was as nice as pie and now we get on fine.
    you never know when you might need a hand in life eh!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport