Two boxes, one dial tone

Options
I have recently moved into a house that has a separate annex for the previous owners parents. The annex is physically attached to the main house.

The 'property' (read both main house and annex) has a single line running to it from a telegraph pole across the street. The cable runs down the house to a junction box and one line comes out to the annex and one comes out and goes to the main house.

The annex has a bunch of extension boxes that have a dial tone but no master socket.

The main house has a master socket but no dial tone.

BT / PO have confirmed that they have a line visible to them at the exchange for this property.

I've given up getting my number transferred to the new house through PO and will get a new number. But my question is this....

Who is responsible for the cable running to the master socket (with no dial tone)?

If the cable is duff, will it be fixed free of charge?

Will the fact that the line is inactive (previous owners on Virgin in the main house) mean that the dial tone goes?

All I want is a phone line so I can get up and running. I want to go PO for phone for a month so I can swithc to O2 on a discount for Home Phone and BB.

Is it best to just let PO run their course for a new number and then complain when the box doesn't work. The last thing I want is to be given a bill for something that is not my fault/responsibility.

Dr Rick

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family