Quick Question - Can I get DLA if Im..

Options
severe/profound hard of hearing?

My first post here, I know I should be posting in the introduction bit first but had to ask a quick question.

Thank you :D

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome.

The question with DLA is not "what's wrong with you?" but "how does what's wrong with you affect your mobility / ability to carry out everyday tasks?"

I don't know what the exact criteria are, but I believe if you can attend to your personal care needs (wash and dress yourself) and prepare a meal, you wouldn't get DLA. But I suppose if you can't go out by yourself then you might get the lowest mobility component. However I think it would be an uphill struggle ...

You might be able to get a disabled bus pass for your area, and you can certainly get a Disabled Person's Railcard, although that's not free, and doesn't give free rail travel either, just a discount!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • idvi
    idvi Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    you might get low rate mobility, possibly.

criteria:
    Rates of mobility

Lower Rate
    You may me able to get this if you can walk, but you need guidance or supervision from another person when you are walking out of doors in unfamiliar places. This is to avoid causing a danger to yourself or the public.

You may need this help because:
    • you have problems controlling your behaviour;
    • you are blind or deaf; or
    • someone needs to keep a close eye on your condition
    or something like this.
    2 esa medicals passed successfully (support group - it can be done!!)!! :j
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of the criteria for DLA care is communication. If due to deafness you struggle to communicate, you may qualify.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • CurrentWorker
    Options
    The only reason Im asking is because I used to get it all the way till I reached 12/13 years old. This was because there were problems during during 3/4 years as parents were fighting over who should have me, as they were split. This meant my dad didn't do the yearly forms or whatever. We tried applying for DLA last year when I was 15 years old, and got denied.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Welcome.

The question with DLA is not "what's wrong with you?" but "how does what's wrong with you affect your mobility / ability to carry out everyday tasks?"

The help also has to be given by a person.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only reason Im asking is because I used to get it all the way till I reached 12/13 years old. This was because there were problems during during 3/4 years as parents were fighting over who should have me, as they were split. This meant my dad didn't do the yearly forms or whatever. We tried applying for DLA last year when I was 15 years old, and got denied.
    You might have been getting it when you were younger, because you may have needed more care and supervision than a non-disabled child of a similar age. Just as an example, when my lads were 12/13, they were perfectly safe to travel to school alone, whereas you might not have been because you couldn't hear traffic / announcements on public transport / ask for help if you needed it.

You might have been refused now EITHER because you are more independent, OR because the way the forms were completed didn't give a true reflection of your needs. They are horrible to fill in, because you have to concentrate on what you can't do without help (or at all), and most of the time you probably just get on with things and 'cope' without dwelling on all you can't do compared to a 15 yo with 'normal' hearing.

There may be a local Welfare Rights group who can help you with the forms.

Or have a look at the links on this RNID page.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport