Asda money changing thingy

Options

Comments

• Dammam
    Dammam Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I believe that Asda donate some or all of the 7.5% fee to charity, so it's not a total moneygrabbing exercise.
    From what I recall, you also have the option of donating the lot to charity.

I've used it because I can never get to the Bank because of working hours, but I can get to Asda easily enough after work. It's convenience.
  • LEE69_2
    LEE69_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Take the change to a post office,they don't charge for changing.

They will give you money bags aswell.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    photome wrote:
    I saw someone use a coin counter in asda recently they counted out just over £1200 at a charge of around £90, they must be mad.

or criminal of some sort!
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    LEE69 wrote:
    Take the change to a post office,they don't charge for changing.

They will give you money bags aswell.

do you need an account there?
  • spankymonkey_2
    Options
    some post offices stopped taking change, but mine will take bags of change when you pay a bill.... which helps
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • woohoo
    woohoo Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    I def. prefer to use the counting machine in Asda! Counting coppers is the most frustrating and time consuming exercise ever. I didn't know about the machines you could buy though...
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    I laughed at one of those supermarket sorting machines inviting us to "Turn your coins into cash!" Um, are they something other than cash when they're in my pocket?
    My local Lloyds TSB gives out coin bags without asking whether you have an account there, and I've never had any problems paying bagged coppers into my account (haven't tried it with more than a few £s though).
    If you have any kids (grandchildren, nieces, nephews etc), you'll probably find them very willing to sort your coins for a much lower commission than the rip-off machines.
  • missvee
    Options
    I recently changed money at Asda, the machine charged 7.5p for every pound. A lot quicker than a bank but not as cheap.
    Missvee
  • If you do decide to use one of these machines watch out for the small print on the voucher. It can only be redeemed on the same day and in the same store as the counting machine.

Also, the vouchers state that they can be taken to any cashier - not true in my local asda - they send you to the customer service desk.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dammam wrote:
    I believe that Asda donate some or all of the 7.5% fee to charity, so it's not a total moneygrabbing exercise.

As far as I am aware ASDA don't get any of the 7.5% - It is CoinStar that pockets this lot
    Dammam wrote:
    From what I recall, you also have the option of donating the lot to charity.

CoinStar still take the 7.5% and it is only YOUR 92.5% that gets donated.

I'd suggest that if the charity aspect is of interest for your small change, then either take large quantities to the charity shop of your choice and just hand over 100% of it over the counter, or DON'T save up large quantities in the first place and put your spare change straight into collection boxes. If you look they are just about everywhere !
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport