Loft Conversion to Bungalow to make double bedroom

Options
Hi people

I was recommeded an architect by a builder who came to quote me on a loft conversion.
I am not sure of his price though, seems steep - all advice taken. Details as follows:
  • Measured Survey
    • Carry out measured survey, including roof space
    • Draw up plans as existing.

For the sum of £450.00 ex VAT
    Payable upon appointment to proceed.
    • Planning Design and Building Regulation stage
      • Produce proposed sketch plans for Clients approval.
      • Produce building regulation drawings
      • Plans to include dimensions, sections through building, etc.
      • Liaise with clients Structural Engineer.
      • Complete application forms on Clients behalf and make building regulation submission including necessary prints of plans.
      • 2 copies of plans will be provided to Client. (Extra copies charged at £1.50 per A1 size sheet).
      • Client to receive two full set of plans.

For the sum of £960.00 ex VAT
    Payable when plans are submitted to Local Authority.

Comments

• iamcornholio
      iamcornholio Posts: 1,900 Forumite
      Options
      There is no mention of planning permission application/drawings. You may not need PP, but if you do, you need to know at what cost.

As for the measured survey, then if the conversion just need building regulations, then why should you need/pay for 'as existing' plans? There will be some time in surveying, but after that, the plan drawer goes straight to the design stage and so I'd say that £450 is too much for too little - and definitely not to be paid on appointment before he even lifts a pen. Pay £100 maximum for the survey, and not until some work has been done.

The price for the design may or may not be OK, it depends on what work is involved.

There may be very little design work involved in loft conversions. Once the stair location is sorted, then there is very little to actually draw/design, and many designers use standard details, and pass the majority of work onto the structural engineer - so be clear what extra costs the engineer will charge. Also ask if a Party Wall agreement is likely to be needed - more potential cost

What type of property is this - detached, hipped/gable roof?
    • Canny_Geordie
      Options
      This is a semi-detached hip roof bungalow.
      There is no mention of planning permission application/drawings. You may not need PP, but if you do, you need to know at what cost.

As for the measured survey, then if the conversion just need building regulations, then why should you need/pay for 'as existing' plans? There will be some time in surveying, but after that, the plan drawer goes straight to the design stage and so I'd say that £450 is too much for too little - and definitely not to be paid on appointment before he even lifts a pen. Pay £100 maximum for the survey, and not until some work has been done.

The price for the design may or may not be OK, it depends on what work is involved.

There may be very little design work involved in loft conversions. Once the stair location is sorted, then there is very little to actually draw/design, and many designers use standard details, and pass the majority of work onto the structural engineer - so be clear what extra costs the engineer will charge. Also ask if a Party Wall agreement is likely to be needed - more potential cost

What type of property is this - detached, hipped/gable roof?
    • latecomer
      latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
      Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
      Options
      I'm sure you've probably noticed already but it doesn't include any of the structal drawings that will be required for the building warrant.

I would also pay some of the fee when its submitted but the balance only when its passed by the planning department (presumably the submission to local authority thats been mentioned is the planning dept).
    • System
      System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
      Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
      Options
      price for the survey seems a bit steep, measuring and drawing should be 1 day, 1.5 tops, although for a planning application you will defintely have to submit a full drawing set, usually included as part of the warrant set too.

design and warrant stuff isn't bad as it includes making the submissions and dealing with the engineer, although you should confirm that this will also include any additional work when the la come back with points for the warrant application
    • iamcornholio
      iamcornholio Posts: 1,900 Forumite
      Options
      This is a semi-detached hip roof bungalow.

So a Party Wall notice is likely to be required as beams generally need to be placed on the party wall - so more potential costs. But you may want to avoid this if possible - talk you the designer about the implications of not serving a PW notice.

There should not be much structural design work if this is a traditional cut rafter roof. The designer should be able to work out a couple of beams to hold the new floor. If an engineer gets involved you may be looking at another £500 upwards for his work. But if dormers are involved then engineer costs and work content will increase

Speak to your designer, and get it clarified what precisely is required - planning permission, potential engineer costs, other costs. Also get him to estimate what structural work will be required - ie what roof timbers need to be adapted, and what size beams are likely to be used - this will in turn give you an idea of the scope of the building work and what a builder will charge. For instance, you don't want the designer designing some monster beams for his convenience, and then the builder charging you a premium for fitting them. You want a cost effective design
    • downshifted
      downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
      Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
      Options
      I've just had a quote for a double bedroom plus en suite in a detached bungalow loft. To prepare the plans for submission is £600, plus fees for submission of £60. Planning and Building Control fees are another £275 and there are Inspection fees of £286.25. If structural calculations are required the additional fee is £450. Hope this helps.

Personally I'm worried about whether to put the stairs in the hall (and reduce the size of the bathroom) or off the living room. Also concerned about the overall cost - I'm told £30 - £35k - against the added value to the bungalow.
      Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
    This discussion has been closed.
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
    • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 173.1K Life & Family