Public sector pension transfer value request

Options

Comments

• kentgirlinfrance
    Options
    Jem16 -No to the first and yes to the second. What don't you understand about people finding threads? Surely that's the purpose of the internet? Actually, don't reply to that, I shan't be revisiting this thread.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I shan't be revisiting this thread.

Thank you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cookiecrew_2
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Unusual first post from kentgirlinfrance, how on earth did she stumble upon this thread..

Anyhow, to cookiecrew, you will find that dunstonh is one of the most respected members when it comes to pension advice and if you want to dismiss his view then fair enough.

But the fact remains that I at no point ever asked advice on my choice of treatment of my pension, and have posted to that effect throughout. Respected he may be, but I wonder how he would feel if I harped on about his fire safety in the face of an entirely different question? And it also remains that in fact he knows nothing of my circumstances and therefore has no right to insult me.

And further, to insult another poster just because she appears to be supporting my decisions (alone in the morass!) is, frankly, beneath all of you, I would think, and certainly doesn't earn my respect.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    But the fact remains that I at no point ever asked advice on my choice of treatment of my pension, and have posted to that effect throughout
    You didnt but it was clear you were making assumptions that were based on opinion and lack of facts. The transaction you are looking at is statistically unlikely to be the best option financially and it is an area that is rife with dodgy firms promoting qrops without any form of consumer protection.

This is a discussion forum and you started a topic that has been discussed.
    I wonder how he would feel if I harped on about his fire safety in the face of an entirely different question?
    I dont see what fire safety has to do with this thread.
    And it also remains that in fact he knows nothing of my circumstances and therefore has no right to insult me.
    I havent insulted you. I think you are making a big mistake but I have said that it is yours to make. No-one has agreed with you except a new sign up who just happens to stumble upon this thread. Surely the fact that no-one thinks what you are doing is right should concern you?
    And further, to insult another poster just because she appears to be supporting my decisions (alone in the morass!) is, frankly, beneath all of you, I would think, and certainly doesn't earn my respect.
    We weren't born yesterday.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cookiecrew_2
    Options
    Assumptions I have made are based on extensive dialogue with a well-respected firm of financial advisors with some 35,000 clients worldwide. You are extremely arrogant to assume I know nothing. I understand the risks I am taking and have made my decision based on a number of factors, only one of which is financial.
    I didn't ask for your comments: when you have made them, I have replied politely to try to deflect them, but you are not content to respect the fact that I am not interested in your opinion which is based on miniscule knowledge of my circumstances. You may be wholly right about the advantage of defined benefits schemes (although things are changing rapidly since they are untenable in their present form) but it does not work to my benefit to leave my pension there.
    I have tried to explain this quite patiently, several times, but you are like a dog with a bone and do not respect the fact that I have tried to get this thread back on track.

With respect to the post from kentgirlinfrance, I suggest that perhaps you check the IP addresses of posters if you are so convinced that anyone who does not toe your line must by extrapolation be in cahoots.

In the meantime, I will say that you may be a respected advisor here on MSE.com - but, having looked at your activity profile and seen that you seem to do very little else but sit at your computer and post on here (see boardtracker.com/profile/3706/29254), I can only suggest that you perhaps need to get off your chair and learn some people skills.

If this forum is the province of people who are entirely convinced that they and they alone are correct, and who, furthermore, become unpleasant when the OP is not in complete accordance with their view, then I'm sorry I ever looked here for information (and not about this bone of contention either!!)
  • cvd
    cvd Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    There is an article in The Guaridan today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/aug/04/public-sector-pensions-embargo-divorce

It reports this government embargo on calculating transfer values is affecting couples wanting to divorce.
  • dunstonh
    edited 5 August 2010 at 12:04PM
    Options
    Assumptions I have made are based on extensive dialogue with a well-respected firm of financial advisors with some 35,000 clients worldwide.
    If thats the case then why are you asking on an internet site. They cant be that respected if you are not asking them the questions. If you have investigated the options and looked at the facts, then what is the critical yield required?
    You are extremely arrogant to assume I know nothing. I understand the risks I am taking and have made my decision based on a number of factors, only one of which is financial.
    Given the limited information posted, we have to make assumptions. However, your posts did make it clear that you didn't appear to know much about the subject and your opinions seemed based on opinion rather than fact. That may be wrong but it was how you posted.

Of course, you could be in the 1% of people where it is best to do what you propose. However, statistically, it is unlikely you are.
    With respect to the post from kentgirlinfrance, I suggest that perhaps you check the IP addresses of posters if you are so convinced that anyone who does not toe your line must by extrapolation be in cahoots.
    Given how unlikely it is to be best for one person to do this, to get two in the same thread is even more so.
    I didn't ask for your comments: when you have made them, I have replied politely to try to deflect them, but you are not content to respect the fact that I am not interested in your opinion which is based on miniscule knowledge of my circumstances.
    Tough. You got them. And you got them from a range of posters. If you dont like that then dont post on the internet. Hopefully, other people who read the thread who are thinking the same thing as you will see the warnings and make sure they check things out first.
    I have tried to explain this quite patiently, several times, but you are like a dog with a bone and do not respect the fact that I have tried to get this thread back on track.
    No you haven't. Indeed, that is the reason the subject has continued as it has.

It's very strange how you have become very defensive and rude when all people are doing is to make sure you are aware that you are transacting what is classed as a high risk transaction that is statistically unlikely to be the best option.
    If this forum is the province of people who are entirely convinced that they and they alone are correct, and who, furthermore, become unpleasant when the OP is not in complete accordance with their view, then I'm sorry I ever looked here for information (and not about this bone of contention either!!)
    Your apology is accepted.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 5 August 2010 at 2:22PM
    Options
    Jem16 -No to the first and yes to the second. What don't you understand about people finding threads? Surely that's the purpose of the internet? Actually, don't reply to that, I shan't be revisiting this thread.

What you are both doing/have done is very unusual. Yet you just happened to come along 8 months after doing this and join this forum just to support someone who wants to do it too.

Why now? Why not 8 months ago when you were considering doing exactly the same thing and might have been wondering about doing it. I could even have seen the point in you looking now if your investment had been going downhill yet you say in the last 6 months it has gone up.

So there seems no real reason for you to happen across this thread unless you were directed to it.
    cookiecrew wrote: »
    Assumptions I have made are based on extensive dialogue with a well-respected firm of financial advisors with some 35,000 clients worldwide.

So why are you asking strangers on an internet forum?

What would IP addresses prove except that you are not using the same internet connection?

Or are you trying to suggest that we really think it's you posting under another username? Now why would that thought enter your head I wonder?
    I can only suggest that you perhaps need to get off your chair and learn some people skills.

At no time on this thread has anyone insulted you. Yet because most don't support you, you have taken to insulting them.

Unfortunately the only poster I can see being unpleasant recently is yourself.

These threads are not only read by the OP - they are read by many who lurk and never post.
  • kentgirlinfrance
    Options
    jem16 - I originally "stumbled" across this thread following a search in a general search engine for "public sector firefighter pay pension freeze cut". This threw up (as you can imagine) loads of links. I looked at loads. I wasn't looking particularly for anything regarding the transfer of a public sector pension - my husband is 53 and in a different position to Cookiecrew - I was more concerned with what might be happening to pay and pensions over the next two years.
    However, I did read this and as people were posting re QROPS I thought that as I have moved to a QROPS (although I have never been a public sector worker and so my pension transfers were from two company schemes and a stakeholder pension not from a public sector pension) I had the right to post concerning QROPS. This may seem strange to you but it's just the way things happen sometimes. Also, I don't see why you would query why I should post after having "stumbled" over this thread without questioning why the wife of a retired teacher living in Spain should have, and if it's because I was a new poster I have until now been one of your "lurkers".
    I take on board what dunstonh has said about QROPS but, as I said in my original post, I took advice and made my decision - surely that is Cookiecrew's right as well - and I really don't understand why this thread had to degenerate into the nastiness it has.
    I shall continue to visit this site, but I think I'll just remain a "lurker" in the future.
    Regards.
  • vbm
    vbm Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    I am pretty sure if I posted on Firefighter.com, that I was off to tackle a chemical fire at a propane factory with a water pistol, asking for advice on what type of water pistol I should use, there would be no shortage of firefighters expalining that it might not be wise to continue with that course of action.

I would probably take notice though, and not claim that I have throughly researched water pistols and that my desire to take control of the fire for my self outweighs the terrible desion I was about to take.

At least you will just be worse off in retirement and not horribly burned.

Still each to their own, good luck op.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport