Is this an advertising con?

Options
Hello, I am new to this board so apologies if something similar has been posted before.

In April we bought an existing Sandwich Shop business and I am pleased to say that ever since we seem to be gradually getting busier and busier.

I had a phonecall from a lady at the local NHS Trust asking if we do outside catering to which I replied that it was something we could do as we have a strong pub restaurant background. She then started to offer me some sort of opportunity to be a provider for the 'Staff membership discount scheme' or something, as long as we could offer a discount to members (which we could do if it guaranteed business). Then she went on to say that we would be included in the website and that there would be a charge (but couldn't tell me how much). It almost immediately put my partner off and he is now reluctant to even see this guy who is coming tomorrow afternoon as he thinks that all he is doing is raising funds through advertising.

Is this genuine and has anybody else had anything similar?

Comments

• skippy64
    Options
    I always get synical with these sorts of tele-sales for drumming up business. We got stung many years ago with a 'loyalty' card scheme that we put a deposit of £250 against & the firm went bust before it got the scheme operational in area ( Select Card I think it was called ).

Before the t'internet the other style of advertising they used to sell via hospitals was going on the big hospital ward maps you see dotted around hospitals with firms adverts printed around the edge of the poster. To be honest I've always shyed away from advertising that way and I always found it was best to spend the money focussing on giving offers to existing customers & let them generate leads for you that way. You could do something similar to the stamps that subway do or do something that gets a customer to pass on an offer to a friend. The beauty of it these days with personal computers you can quickly make your own leaflets/flyers/posters & do seasonal offers and change it quickly if its not working or print some more if its a success.

I'm only passing on my own thoughts but for me I wouldn't be personally interested in the deal that you have mentioned.
  • sarahlouise210
    Options
    I would say that you are prepared to offer the discount (it could be lucrative for you) but you do not want to pay for advertising and will rely on word of mouth. Where I work we get % off at a few eateries and sandwich shops - it is not advertised anywhere ..we just pass it around.
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it this?

https://www.medicarenhs.co.uk

I have no knowledge of it other than I stumbled across it when looking for something else.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• joggyb
    Options
    I'd say 'don't do it!'

There are lots of scams or semi-scams like this, and you don't need them! Your business is thriving,:T so stick with what's working for you.

If they are the people who Slinky has flagged up, then their website rings a lot of alarm bells. :eek: They're not actually anything to do with the NHS (despite a name that suggests a formal connection), they don't list any of their company details (reg. no, VAT no, etc) for starters, and it's just a massive advertising site.

General rule: if advertising companies seek you out and start wanting to arrange meetings with you, and don't reveal their charges, there's usually something wrong.

I'd phone and cancel the meeting. If they get at all aggro, you'll know for sure it's not for you.
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    con, someone called me and told them to !!!!!! they wanted £2500 lol
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • Lindsay100
    Options
    I have 12 years experience in Marketing.

My best advice if you have this money to spend, is for YOU to decide how to spend it. You know your customers best, who they are, what they want.

For example you could print vouchers/leaflets and mailshot/leaflet drop all of the local offices including hospitals. Have a professional discount card printed, or I like it when I get those, buy 6 sarnies get your 6th Free.

I like vistaprint.co.uk they do this kind of stuff cheap but great quality. Happy to help more if you need help with design etc.

Lindsay
    Like my avatar, took the photo myself with the free digital camera I bought from boots with all my free points! I love moneysaving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure