🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Sorry experts-thick questions re: dvd writers!

Options
:D

Hello!

Apologies for being thick but what do I need to purchase to copy from cd to cd (films & music).

Is it just the dvd writer-or do I need a dvd rom (wahtever that is??!) & separate software to burn/copy??

I saw another thread advertising a 'double-layer' dvd writer for £40 or so-is this worth it??

I run on windows xp have 128mb ram & 83% of hard drive free & a pentium proccesor (don't know which one?).

Also re: DVD recorders-i have 2 spare computers (one with over 300mb ram on it)-is it possible to buy any sort of software/connections to record directly from the tv-is this a cheaper option than buying a dvd recorder or is it not worth the hassle (as I'm not that technically minded!).

Sorry if these sound dumb questions-ask me about holidays & I'm your man!

Kind regards,

Chris

Comments

• alexj2002
    alexj2002 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Most DVD-Writers tend to come with Software (e.g. Nero Burning Rom)

You don't need a DVD-ROM drive but you will need a lot of free hard disk space (about 4-10GB depending on what's on the disc).

Windows XP is fine but have you considered adding more RAM to it. It's not essential but myself and many others have found it runs much faster with 256MB of RAM or more.

It should be a Pentium 4 which is sufficent. Press the windows button and Pause at the same time to find out which one.
    Alex Jones
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family