Multi-fuel burner quote

I've put this question on a couple fo other forums but realised that I probably should've put it on here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just had a quote for a supply and installation of a 5KW Montfort Elegance multi-fuel burner with full chimney lining system and fireplace modifications. It includes taking an old gas style fire out, building a bigger recess for the burner and a new hearth, taking down and putting back up my existing fire surround. 3 days installation. First quote is £2.5K inc VAT.

Is that a reasonable quote.

Comments

• ds1980
    ds1980 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Mmmmmm seems a lot. Why are you having the chimney lined? if theyve told you you have to then they are lying!!
  • hallster11
    hallster11 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the reply ds1980.

They haven't said I've got to have it done but I thought it might be best. Think that part is £30 per metre. Its the installation thats the expensive bit.

Going to get a 2nd quote in, but I think the building work that needs doing is the killer bit.

Actual burner I'm getting is around £500, knocked down from £700.
  • ds1980
    sorry for late response been away. Im fitting mine myself cant be that hard can it??????????????
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My hubby was going to fit ours, but I think we need a certificate so not sure if he can now? It's about £600 to get an installer to fit it.
  • ds1980
    get him to do it it was there when you got there :-). You understand the risks as you live there. Just get as much advice as you can etc but im happy doing mine. If your hubby was going to do it sounds as though he's "competent" up to you
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Any comment on whether fitting yourself and then the house burning down will void your insurance? I fitted mine myself perfectly, not had any probs and was researched thoroughly but I've not a nagging in the back of my head about the above!
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you, the problem is that ours is in a new extension so we couldn't 'pretend'. lol

It's really annoying because before all these rules came in my hubby had fitted two lots of central heating without any problems and could easily do the burner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure