Tescos Cite D' Europe closure

Options
It is with great sadness that we here that the Wine Store in Calais is due to close at the end of the month. Tescos claim the reason is that people no longer travel to France to buy cheaper wine because the price in the UK has been substantially reduced. This is not true. The price in the UK is still much higher than in France even though the Euro exchange range has fallen. Last week we bought an Italian Montepulciano for 2 Euro's at a Tesco exchange rate of 1.17 Euro to the pound, so £1.70. Find that deal in your local Tesco!

Allegedly Tesco's profit increased by 10% in their Calais store last year. They also have two years to run on their lease of the Store according to local staff. Apart from losing their many loyal staff, the closure will also affect the restaurants and other local shops that also benefited from the regular visits of Brits.

If you agree please e-mail Tescos in Calais at [EMAIL="cevinplus@hotmail.fr"]cevinplus@hotmail.fr[/EMAIL] or [EMAIL="terry.leahy@uk.tesco.com"]terry.leahy@uk.tesco.com[/EMAIL]

KEEP IT OPEN!

Comments

• Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    Options
    I've used it in the past and it was quite busy when I was there with people from the UK stocking up?
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • eezer
    eezer Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    Have been going to Cite Europe/Tesco on and off for the last 10 years to stock up with alcohol. On our last trip this year we brought nothing back as we found in general the prices to be the same as over here - or even dearer given the huge reductions we often get in our supermarkets.

Cite Europe was almost deserted and a number of the smaller wine shops and restaurants have already gone. Even Carrefour was quiet.

Very sad to see it go, but personally speaking I wouldn't have gone back.
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2010 at 12:34PM
    Options
    There was a fair few when I went in May, but I guess that's just a small number compared to the past. I saw some bargains there, perhaps that's just me x
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • Charlton_Taz
    Options
    Went out to the tesco and carrefour in Calais last month...was very quiet compared to years gone by. However, definate bargains to be had as I reckon we saved an average of £2 on each bottle of wine we bought compared to buying back here.

Think the decline in the booze cruise has happened as people don't realise what good value it actually is. The last time I went out before last month was back in 2005, as had been discouraged since then by the declining exchange rate. However, a couple of months ago I did a price comparison as had noticed the price of wine going up in this country (e.g. you don't see many 3 for £10 anymore..and if you do the quality of the wine in the offer is not as good as it once was) so ended up organising out trip across! Ended up being well worth it! :beer: Will definately be sad to see it shut. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure