Help, I can't stop spending.

124»

Comments

• daviesalie_2
    daviesalie_2 Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

Same here! I've got one of those little red devils sitting on my shoulder everytime I enter a shop convincing me that its ok to buy what I don't need. I know exactly what I'm doing, and as soon as I get everything home and unpack I ask myself why I bought it...grrrr!

This month I'm setting myself a new challenge. I'm going to do list of enough meals to get us through the month, plan what I'll need, check what's already in the cupboards then do my main shop online. I can justify the delivery charge with the amount of petrol I'll save. Then, for the fresh stuff throughout the month I will go with only the cash I need.

I hope I can stick to it. Its all about self discipline and mine's missing!!!
  • mrsval
    mrsval Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my habit is online bingo its drivin me mad but im going all out on monday (my day off ) to ban myself on all the sites.
    im doing lots of shopping at the pound shop 100 tetley tea bags, brand name shampoos,juice for the children its saving my life the £1 shop
  • Soma
    Soma Posts: 699 Forumite
    mrsval wrote: »
    my habit is online bingo its drivin me mad but im going all out on monday (my day off ) to ban myself on all the sites.
    im doing lots of shopping at the pound shop 100 tetley tea bags, brand name shampoos,juice for the children its saving my life the £1 shop

well done for admitting it, I must admit I do enjoy bingo. Good luck for Monday.
  • mrsval
    u would think i would have learnt something after reading this site all the time but hubby lost his job and with one thing and another i spent over 22k
    its gonna take me years to clear it. good luck all us hopefulls
  • mrsval
    thank you v much soma at the moment i just play gala free games they can sometimes be £50 i just live in hope of a miracle
  • frugallily
    frugallily Posts: 58 Forumite
    I have never read a thread which describes my problem so closely! I have been better lately after watching a programme on TV about hoarding, though!! I used to have cupboards piled 4 tins high with things like 12 tins of chopped tomatoes and so on. You couldn't find anywhere on the shelves to store the stuff. And you couldn't open the freezer for food. And the fridge was stacked high as well. And there's only the 2 of us at home. It was all reduced and theoretically a bargain but it was just daft. So now I am firm with myself,and try not to lapse!! Mind you it is probably hereditary. .when mum died I found 30 cans of asparagus soup and 28 cans of processed peas!!!
  • beadle2
    beadle2 Posts: 50 Forumite
    it seems there is help out therei have just googled "help for shopaholics"as i read Kittys post.you see i am one too myself. but ive never faced it .years ago i could not be trusted with a cheque book and felt compelled to use all the use the whole book up getting a buzz .even now i dont have one. i hope this is of use
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure