»

Help, I can't stop spending.

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Help, I can't stop spending.

edited 27 July 2010 at 3:52PM in Debt-Free Wannabe
37 replies 14.9K views
KittyBoo_2KittyBoo_2 Forumite
676 posts
edited 27 July 2010 at 3:52PM in Debt-Free Wannabe
I know this sounds crazy but although I don't have very much money, I still seem to be spending money that ought to be paying off my debts.
It's always on groceries and not magazines or other stuff.
I go shopping with a list but see things that I know we'll use in the future such as shampoos, washing up liquid and special offers on meat.
I rationalise that I am saving money in the long run but realistically that is not going to happen.
I know leaving your card at home sound like the sensible thing to do and to just take cash but I always overestimate what I might spend and then take a bit more money.
I have been reading these posts for ages and feel such a failure that I can't get a grip on this.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]
NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank £0/£5
Food
£73.57/£122 (incl. pet food)
Petrol £20/£40
Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
Debt :eek: £18,917

Replies

• edited 22 July 2010 at 8:35PM
    Angela84Angela84 Forumite
    396 posts
    edited 22 July 2010 at 8:35PM
    Kitty, I do exactly the same. For some reason I don't see it as bad as buying clothes, other stuff etc, as I know it'll be used up eventually/eaten etc.
    Last week I did my first shop online, and it was so easy, and I didn't end up with 2 4 1 offers I didn't need, 3 loaves of reduced bread, an £8 air freshener, and some deli meats..... just the stuff I needed.
    To be fair this week has been boring in the snacks and goodies department, going to look in the cupboards at 9pm for a treat has left me cold, but I know I have saved money.

You also see it adding up as you put things in your 'basket' so you don't get that shock when your shop you worked out at coming in about £50 comes in at £85.

Otherwise I would just transfer the money into my current account just before I left. When you've had the embarrassment of having your card decline, and having to put things back with everyone watching will make you learn pretty quickly to add it up accurately.
    LBM January 2017 £9850 debts /// Nov 2017 £4284 paid £5566 to go (42%) DFD June 18
    [STRIKE] Natwest C/C £250 Rbs O/D £1250 NatWest O/D £1600[/STRIKE]
    Barclaycard C/C [STRIKE]£2050[/STRIKE] £1200 Lloyds C/C [STRIKE]£4750[/STRIKE] £4366
    Been in debt for 15yrs, trying to become debt free in 15 months
  • bottleofredbottleofred Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Kittyboo,

If you post your statement of affairs on the thread you will get help and assistance on how to save money.
    If you've nothing decent to say, perhaps you shouldn't say anything.

£2 savings jar £300:D
    Total credit card debts £1250:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: - Will I ever learn!!
  • KittyBoo_2KittyBoo_2 Forumite
    676 posts
    Angela84 wrote: »
    Kitty, I do exactly the same. For some reason I don't see it as bad as buying clothes, other stuff etc, as I know it'll be used up eventually/eaten etc.
    Last week I did my first shop online, and it was so easy, and I didn't end up with 2 4 1 offers I didn't need, 3 loaves of reduced bread, an £8 air freshener, and some deli meats..... just the stuff I needed.
    To be fair this week has been boring in the snacks and goodies department, going to look in the cupboards at 9pm for a treat has left me cold, but I know I have saved money.

You also see it adding up as you put things in your 'basket' so you don't get that shock when your shop you worked out at coming in about £50 comes in at £85.

Otherwise I would just transfer the money into my current account just before I left. When you've had the embarrassment of having your card decline, and having to put things back with everyone watching will make you learn pretty quickly to add it up accurately.
    Thankyou for your words of comfort.
    That is it exactly.
    I think the problem for me is that I do my shopping in the week in dribs and drabs because when I check what we have, I don't need that much so I nip in to Morrisons and pick the "basics" up.
    This ends up with the BOGOF's and othr bargains. = OVERSPEND.
    I then go to MR T's to take my Mum shopping and of course the same happens again = OVERSPEND.
    I'm sure it would work out cheaper if I ordered online and paid for the delivery.
    At least I wouldn't be tempted and then I could just take my Mum shopping and not even look for anything.
    It's all down to the planning, I know.
    Right, I am going to set myself a challenge and get this sorted and order it all online.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40
    676 posts
    Hi Kittyboo,

If you post your statement of affairs on the thread you will get help and assistance on how to save money.
    To be honest, I wouldn't dare post my SOA as it is a horror story.
    After a serious illness and not working for 2 years (and being on Incapacity benefit and full rate DLA), I am in a world that I don't even recognise.
    I have pared down my outgoings to the basics but still rob Peter to pay Paul.
    My mortgage has been interest only for 2 years and I have set up minimum payments for my debts.
    I will still be paying these off in 100 years.:eek:
    However, I need to grab the bull by the horns and tighten the purse strings and get it sorted.
    I have upped my minimum payments from £1.00 to £2.00 (not much but the creditors are happy) and agreed other payments to the Inland Revenue and for my water bill.
    If I can find money to do this extra shopping, then I should be able to put this to either my mortgage or to increase the debt payments.
    Thankyou for your comments.
    They are greatly appreciated and it does help to actually face up to it and share it with like minded people.
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40
  • GEEGEE8GEEGEE8 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    I think it's a habit, and to some extent an addiction.. try to wean yourself off it gradually and don't be too hard on yourself.

x
    9/70lbs to lose :)
    676 posts
    GEEGEE8 wrote: »
    I think it's a habit, and to some extent an addiction.. try to wean yourself off it gradually and don't be too hard on yourself.

x
    It is a habit.
    I kid myself I am stockpiling and saving money, which will keep me out of the supermarket but of course it doesn't.
    I think I will try the online shopping and hopefully be able to control myself and not get into the same situation of buying the BOGOF's and multi packs of essentials.
    Thanks
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40
  • barbiedollbarbiedoll Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, it's the obvious things which can help. Make a list when you go food shopping and stick to it. I've started doing that, I check the cupboards and realise that I really don't need 4 tins of baked beans, however cheap they are. (7 tins in the cupboard already :eek:)
    Also..and this is REALLY effective..always, always eat before you go. That way, you don't pick up things just because you fancy them, e.g hot sausage rolls, cakes, etc,etc. I make sure that everyone has breakfast before we go to the supermarket, it has stopped my OH and my kid from dropping cakes, biscuits and other rubbish into the trolley. My weekly supermarket spend used to be around £100, I've now got it down to an average of £65. I try to buy all the cleaning stuff in one week, tins and dried goods in the next, biscuits, crisps and drinks in the third week and the final week (payday!) is for tea, coffee and sugar, big packs to save money ;)
    You can do this, it just means changing your habits. Good luck!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • You say that you take your mum shopping as well as doing your own - depending if she's well enough why don't you swap lists - tell your mum to get only the things on your list and you do hers in the same way. You won't pick up the offers for her because its not your money that you're spending and she'll only get the things that you've put on your list.

Might be worth a try ?!
    Finally got the house we' ve worked so hard to get......now it's a life of diy and no money....couldn't be happier :rotfl:
  • tallyhohtallyhoh Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit guilty of food shopping for stuff I dont really need. I dont overspend a penny in other areas but I think my sub concious justifies it by saying that food is a basic requirement.

Having said that I just checked my grocery bill for the last 2 months & it averaged out at £160 a month for 2 adults, 2 teenagers & 2 dogs.
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £21,840 so far!
    676 posts
    It's very strange to think I can't get my head around this.
    I do start with good intentions and write a list but it is the things like stocking up on beans, tinned tomatoes etc when they are on offer.
    I can't seem to decide how much needs to be in the pantry and whether to top it or make do with what we've got and make it last.
    Do I then just buy what we need for the following week or do I buy a few bits for the pantry?
    How do you do your shopping and do you keep a stock of things in?
    Thanks for replies.
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40