We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Critical illness cover reclaim ??

Options
Hi

after doing a well overdue budget we noticed two payments that we thought were life insurance .
One a payment of £107.02 to Scotish Provident and one to Halifax of £26.78
Because we couldn't find any paperwork for them i rang the Halifax bank that the dd come out of .
They tell me one is a TMP (TOTAL MORTGAGE PROTECTION) and ones a critical illness cover ,but both cover £35000
I have arranged for copies of the policies to be sent .
Now as these appear to correspond to times of re mortgage can i reclaim these as i did with payment protection on a loan ??

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now as these appear to correspond to times of re mortgage can i reclaim these as i did with payment protection on a loan ??

Highly unlikely any complaint would be accepted. These plans would have been sold under an advice process. So, that means a factfind, needs analysis and a suitability report. Typical financial need for CI cover is up to 10x salary plus debts. So, unless you have more than that, you are not over insured.

Also, it is unlikely that they were bought through the same adviser as Halifax are tied and Scot Prov sold via IFAs and Abbey National (for a while).

So, all the complaints reasons you can use for loan and credit cards wont apply. Its not single premium, they did know your circumstances and your needs, you do have a financial need and you were eligible (as they are medically underwritten at point of sale).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport