How long does a ccj last?

Hi all, me and my girlfriend are in the process of getting a rent to homebuy property, the last hurdle was today... a credit check. Mine came back with an outstanding ccj. If i pay this in full next week how long would it take me to get a certificate from the court saying it has been settled? As we cannot move in until this is done??
Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    simon25 wrote: »
    Hi all, me and my girlfriend are in the process of getting a rent to homebuy property, the last hurdle was today... a credit check. Mine came back with an outstanding ccj. If i pay this in full next week how long would it take me to get a certificate from the court saying it has been settled? As we cannot move in until this is done??
    Thanks for any replies.

Even if it is settled, and you get a certificate off the court, it will still be on your record for 6 years after it was registered. Many lenders would run a mile!! Sorry.
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • anna_grant
    anna_grant Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think your only chance may be to try and get it 'set aside'.

Details here:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=12_how_to_set_aside_a_judgment_in_the_county_court

That will only work in certain circumstances such as:
    • an order was made against you in your absence, in certain circumstances;
    • there may be an error in the judgment;
    • you want to put in a defence and did not have the opportunity to do this;
    • the proceedings did not follow the court rules
    Warning: if you don't have a genuine reason, your application could be treated as wasting court time or even perjury.

If you told us a bit more about the circumstances which led to the CCJ, some more knowledgeable person than me might be able to help.
    ¿Alguien ha visto a mi nave espacial?

Biting is excellent. It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    6 Years from date of issue
  • sassy_one
    And I have to say, you are considered a high risk to any lenders for having a CCJ.

Even after paying it, it will still be recorded otherwise people could just pay off there debts when it suited them, this is not the case.

It will be recorded as settled however it will still be recorded against your credit file and this will still put A LOT of lenders off you
  • Two parts to this

- if the lender has agreed to go through with the deal if the ccj is paid off then you should be able to get a reciept for the payment from the court very quickly. Especially if you can visit in person. Make sure the ccj reference is on any receipt.

- however as others have said it will be on your credit record for 6 years. (Make sure you get an up to date credit report after couple of months to check it is shown as cleared)

Hope it's the first case - good luck.
  • RonniesMummy
    RonniesMummy Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I work for a credit company, and doing credit checks on customers it does show for 6 years, and it would show as CCJ the amount, and settled, if your looking to rent a property you should be okay to speak to the rental company and explain the situation and that you didnt realise you had a outstanding debt, you can also write on your own credit file, ( i forget what this is called, forgive me, ive been off work since march! ) to explain why this debt remained unpaid and that you are usually very good with keeping up repayments.
    Its very complicated this credit rating business, everything can effect it.
    I hope this helps
    :)
    DFD 1st January 2016
    Total Debt £4600 01/01/2013
    £4100 15/11/2013 01/11/15 £0 :j
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    So after 6 years does it just disappear?
  • So after 6 years does it just disappear?

Yes it does.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • rickbonar
    rickbonar Posts: 448 Forumite
    What about bankruptcy and how does that affect the ccj ruling?

And what about changing your name?
  • sassy_one
    It last for 6 years from date of it being registered, after 6 years it will simply fall off and disappear :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure