PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

need advice>>compulsory purchase order

Options
our house along with a quite a few others are due to be knocked down as soon as plans are approved probably within the next few years, anyway ive been gettin tons of letters off estate agents offering thier services to deal with it.

i just really wanted to know if anyone else has been through a similar thing, should i start looking for a house? wats the best agent to use?...any advice really

cheers folks

Comments

• frugal_dougal_3
    Options
    My advice would be to speak to a solicitor as soon as possible.

You will not have to run up a huge bill with him/her at this stage, just ask for a fixed fee interview which you should be able to get for about £5 for around half an hour. Take any paperwork or notifications you have with you and then afterwards you will have a better idea how to proceed to get a fair price for your property.
    Good luck !
  • garysletters
    Options
    you dont need an estate agent for a CPO.
    The council will most likely write to you direct to issue a CPO stating how much they are prepared to offer.
    Better in the meantime to get to know your neighbours to see what they are offered. Then you know your not getting a lower amount.
    No doubt these estate agents will be looking for a cut of the offer money for "helping" you with it.
    Anything I write is based on my opinion only. Before acting upon any advice from anyone on a forum further professional advice should be sought.
  • swebber
    swebber Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    King132,

Please, Please, Please don't mis-interpret this as a good idea, just thought it was perhaps relevant.

I'm not advising you to do this, nor do I have a clue how it really works, but I knew some people, through other friends that were issued with a CPO.
    They really loved their house and had spent ALOT of time and effort on it, so they refused to take the money.

They got together with neighbours and held little meetings to discuss strategy etc... over time the offer went up and up and the group got smaller and smaller. the bulldozers moved in and knocked 90% of the houses, then a huge shop was built right next door.

Well not to go on, they go a bit fed up with the traffic and the stress (By this time, they were surrounded by a car park. Imagine the heartbreak of seeing the area being ruined) and were starting to regret not taking the last offer, when another came through the door.

Now they have never told anyone how much it was for, but they don't live in this area anymore and seem to always be on holiday.

I know this sounds like an urban myth, but I will give you details of the road there house was on and people will remeber the one lonesome house. Sorry about about it sounding like a story I'm a part time writer, so it just kinda happens.

Just some food for thought, but I'd see what a solicitor says.
  • securityman
    Options
    A freind got £350,000 for some land left to him. He held out to the end and got the most. Like a game of poker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport