£10 charge for PPI info from Barclaycard

Options
Hello, Just a quick question, have written to Barclaycard and asked for my PPI to be refunded (1st letter), received letter back from them stating I must send £10 as per Data Protection......

I thought this was only necessary for default/late charges and not the case in a mis-sold PPI case, am I right??

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have requested data from them then they are allowed to charge £10. If you have sent in a letter of complaint, then no charge is required (as you are not requesting data).

In your complaint letter, have you asked for data?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bdt1
    bdt1 Posts: 891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks I used the template letter from MSE with regard to requesting PPI charges back. It does state 'if you are unable to provide this data, I will accept copies of my statements' - so suppose I'll just have to send them the £10.

But thanks for the reply
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

As Dunstonh have already explained and if you require any details on your account(s), then a Subject access Request (SAR) may be a good idea, if you require this, there is a SAR template for this on this link here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553
    Enclose the payment of £10 cheque or postal order and they have 40 calendar days to comply, post at your local post office and make sure you receive a receipt to prove delivery.

And in regards of reclaiming, if you want to write a letter, personally the best action and a chance of success, its best to write in your own words, and remember to mention they have 8 weeks, also that if you do not receive a final decision that your satisfied with you will consider taking it further via Financial ombudsman service (FOS) which is a free service or smalls claims court.

However, the Financial ombudsman service (FOS) have recently issued questionnaire for the reclaiming purpose (used instead of a letter of reclaim), you will find this on the link below, further down the page as stage one, complete and save and send to whoever was responsible for selling you the product, as usual they have the 8 weeks and so on.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,006 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    bdt1 wrote: »
    Thanks I used the template letter from MSE with regard to requesting PPI charges back. It does state 'if you are unable to provide this data, I will accept copies of my statements' - so suppose I'll just have to send them the £10.

But thanks for the reply
    Hi there, you should have just put a letter in saying you were mis sold and the reasons, not knocking templates, but in some cases you do not have all info you need.I claimed with barclays for a friend with just the settlement figures for loans , barclays upheld and sent 2 cheques, if i were you i would save £10 and write back as i said above.This does not have to be a complicated drawn out procedure.You go for it and keep us posted xx
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    I totally agree amersall.:T:T:T
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should always amend a template to suit your circumstances. Leaving in things that dont apply or can be easily refuted can damage your chances of success. Leaving in bits about a SAR when you didnt need it just delays the issue and can create an unnecessary cost. To be honest, I am surprised the template for PPI even has a SAR in there.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure