Ntl/bt

Options
This may be a silly question, but if we decided to swap from NTL to BT do we have to have a new phone line installed? And if so, will BT charge us for the installation?

TIA

Comments

• Everso_2
    Options
    Hi

I think the process goes along the lines of if there is/was a BT line in the property, then you do not need to have a new one. Having just done exactly what you are proposing, I incurred no charges as previous owners, although on Cable, had had a BT line in the property long before they moved in - hope this helps.
  • phoneman44
    Options
    BT cannot utilise the cable line, therefore if there is not an existing BT line you will have to pay for it to be installed.

Have you looked at keeping the Cable line and connecting your calls through a cheaper provider such as first:telecom - They provide you with an Orchid dialler and certainly work out cheaper than either BT or NTL.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    phoneman44 wrote:
    Have you looked at keeping the Cable line and connecting your calls through a cheaper provider such as first:telecom - They provide you with an Orchid dialler and certainly work out cheaper than either BT or NTL.
    But not NEARLY as cheap as a BT line with Primus Saver 2 CPS (for free E&W UK 01/02 calls), 1899 (for weekday daytime UK 01/02 calls at 3p each regardless of duration) and 18185 (for calls to 0845, 0870 and UK cellphones).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • phoneman44
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    But not NEARLY as cheap as a BT line with Primus Saver 2 CPS (for free E&W UK 01/02 calls), 1899 (for weekday daytime UK 01/02 calls at 3p each regardless of duration) and 18185 (for calls to 0845, 0870 and UK cellphones).

Agreed, however if there is no BT line do you really want to pay £124.99 to have one put in
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    phoneman44 wrote:
    Agreed, however if there is no BT line do you really want to pay £124.99 to have one put in
    Don't get me started on cost benefit analyses!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heinz wrote:

NB this only works if you have a bt phoneline
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • mobilegossip
    Options
    robnye wrote:
    NB this only works if you have a bt phoneline

Surely Heinz indicates you need a BT line.:confused:
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely Heinz indicates you need a BT line.:confused:

no they make beans...... :rotfl:

and no reading back, i cant see where that is mentioned
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    robnye wrote:
    no they make beans...... :rotfl:

and no reading back, i cant see where that is mentioned

Hmm, strange how the first part of the post states: "But not NEARLY as cheap as a BT line with..........."
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure