Egg Anniversary Period

Options
Hi All. My anniversay period if coming up and in anticipation of this I emailed Egg. They have told me that there is now a 2.5% handling fee with no upper limit. Mine is one of the cards taken out about 18 months ago. Does this mean the Egg CC and the anniversay period is now of no benefit to me. Thanks.

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jrm wrote:
    Does this mean the Egg CC and the anniversay period is now of no benefit to me.
    That depends...

If you're a stoozer, then the answer is almost certainly yes.

However, if you're managing real debt, and you don't think your credit rating is such that you'll be able to get another 0% card elsewhere, then you may feel that a 2.5% fee for 5 months of 0%, and no credit search, is a price worth paying.

BTW, if you plan to stay with Egg, you might want to consider registering an e-mail address with them. They were notifying customers of this 2.5% fee back in March this year.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    '2.5%' over five months is 2.4 (12 months over 5 months) times that (6%) 'per annum'.

Minimum payments (of 2% x 4 payments) over five months average the '0% balance down too - by about 2 payments worth or '4%'

Therefore, in reality, about: 1.04 x 6% = 6.25% pa

In addition the fee is subject to a standard rate of 15.9%

15.9% pa x 2.5% is about 0.4% pa (the fact that the period is 5 months and not 12 makes no difference here, you'll note)

Therefore the effective rate is about

6.25% pa + 0.4% pa = 6.65% pa
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills