Stop being a Wimp!... DMP Journey

Options

Comments

• Ellieseleven
    Options
    Another payment made which see's our percentage paid back tip into 30.04% - small steps but so motivating 30.04% looks and feels so much better than 29.99%:o

We're also heading towards sub 30k which is another milestone that I'm working towards, this should happen around May so not too long to go - this will mean that we have paid back around the 15k mark (give or take due to interest still being applied by the bank that I felt so guilty about (and loyal too) at the start of our DMP

I've just completed the January grocery challenge and came in £29.67 under budget with 17 NSD's, so I'm feeling pretty good about that. I don't include OH's spending as there is no change in attitude there but I'm not worrying about him anymore so just concentrating on what I can do to make changes.

I spoke to SC this week for our review and the person that I spoke to was so helpful and reassuring that it was a pleasure to talk to him. Our budget meant that our monthly payments were less than we have been paying but I didn't want to reduce them (I want to increase them if anything) so we juggled the figures around a bit and our payment remains the same...Phew!

Thanks for the words of encouragement ChrisBlue and Money Mayhem, they mean a lot:T

Take care all

Ellie xx
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Notching up another payment towards our DFD;)

Overspent in the grocery challenge but not by too much - this is really keeping me in check and saving money:o

One of my debts has been passed to a DCA which I class as a good thing (there was a time when I would have been mortified at this happening) but I understand that this means that interest won't be re-applied

Glad that the weather is brightening up at last - debt-busting is so much better when the sun is shining:cool:
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    Getting ever closer to my next milestone which is 30k - now owe 30,486 and have paid back almost 15k - the time has passed quickly really and I am still glad that we chose this route even though sometimes it is hard.

The biggest issue I have is paying for my work expenses without using credit cards, so far I've managed and have an emergency fund put by to cover expenses but this month is going to be quite challenging as I am away most weeks:eek: I'm shopping around for hotels and so far have found some really good B&B's which don't cost the earth and are less formal than the big hotel chains so I've met some interesting people on my travels and find I get chatting to many more people than when I stay in the mainstream hotels

Need to get back on track with my grocery challenge this month, I've slipped a bit recently:o

Anyway the sun is shining so onwards and upwards:)
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    This is a massive month for me as we've now dipped under the 30k mark and we're still here to tell the tale!

We've now paid off over 15k in just under 3 years and that time has flown by. We've had our ups and downs but seeing that debt reduce is the thing that motivates me the most, knowing that I can look forward to a debt free retirement in a few years time.

My biggest headache recently has been the amount of time that I've been working away and the expenses that I've racked up. I do try to have a float so that I can cover expenses but in April it has been every week so I have had to go to bank of m&d:o

Another of our accounts has been sold onto Arrow Global Management - not had much info so far just been told that it will move over on 7th May - I look on this happening as a positive as some of our payments are now getting close to minimum and I always worry that interest and charges will start being applied again which will totally upset my plans!

OH continues to be less than useless but I just get on with things and don't let him get to me any more. He's a mine of information on TV trivia but you would be with the amount that he watches over the course of a day. I worked from home one day and he managed to pack in two films and a quick snooze all before lunch time Grrrrrrrrr:mad:

Off now to set myself my next milestone on my debt free journey:)
  • Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Ellieleven

Well Done on getting under 30k - a massive shot in the arm towards becoming debt free.:T

BTW, my OH is now back in work , albeit temporary employment. :T
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• Ellieseleven
    Options
    Not updated for a while - been so busy with work and family etc. but still plodding along debtbusting and feeling quite upbeat at the moment.

Moving towards our next milestone of all credit cards below 4k - we're getting there slowly but surely.

The summer is always better for us as OH generally has some work and things ease slightly. I've been trying to build an emergency fund for the winter months but do find that each time I manage to get any money set aside something always pops up and clears us out again! Anyway, I've started to put a small amount away again so fingers crossed that this time it will grow;)

Finally checked my Noddle report to see what our credit file looks like these days (I've always steered clear as I didn't want to see it in Black & White) and was pleasantly suprised (never thought I'd say this!) to see that all but one of our credit cards have been defaulted and will drop of the credit file before we become debt free or shortly afterwards:)

Glad to hear that your wife has some work Chris - could it turn into a permanent role?
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    We have now completed 3 years on our DMP and have paid off over 17k - hurtling towards 40% of our debt paid back! It's a wonderful feeling;)

We still have a long way to go but we are hoping to knock off a year from our debt free date which I know we can do.

I set myself small milestones along the way which keeps me totally focused, my next milestone is to have all our CC debts under the 4k mark (two to go)

Working away at the moment which is always a challenge but I try to keep a float so that I am able to cover hotel and fuel bills

I feel as though slowly but surely we are picking away at this debt and there is definately light at the end of the tunnel.

OH has some work at the moment so we are managing quite well - keeping within our budget and trying to replenish our emergency fund;)
  • Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi ellieseleven

Glad to hear that you're still making progress - your idea of setting small goals or mini milestones is a good idea as it will help you not get "lost" in the enormity of paying off a large sum.

I too set myself mini milestones but it's really hard going at the moment as OH is not working again - she has been made redundant twice in the last 18 months and I really feel for her :(.

She is stoically battling on and had a job interview today so hope springs eternal.

Good Luck on getting all the CC's under 4K! the only good credit card debt is a dead one ! :)
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• Ellieseleven
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your wife has been made redundant again Chrisblue but on the bright side she is getting interviews which is something in this economic climate - some of my friends are applying for loads of jobs but without even getting any replies. You just have to keep at it;)

Fingers crossed for the interview
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    Another payment down and another step nearer to debt free freedom.

I'm feeling quite positive at the moment and have just seen one of the Paddlers become debt free which helps to spur me on. Some of the folks over on the paddlers thread started their journeys at the same time as me and to see them now starting to reach the end is fantastic and I know that one day it will be my turn.

I'm so pleased for E2, it must be a fantastic feeling when you finally become debt free after all the months and years of frugal living
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure