We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Need Help!!!! Car Insurance PLEASE

Options

Comments

• Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Making sarcastic comments is a strange way to reply

Apologies Quentin, that really wasn't supposed to sound sarcastic! I meant every word :o
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Redspider_2
    Options
    I have spent hours scouring the internet for a quote for my 17 year old son who passed his test in April. I cannot find anything less than £3k! Could you tell me which insurance Company insured the 17 year old girl please?
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    edited 17 July 2010 at 8:18PM
    Options
    Redspider wrote: »
    I have spent hours scouring the internet for a quote for my 17 year old son who passed his test in April. I cannot find anything less than £3k! Could you tell me which insurance Company insured the 17 year old girl please?

It was a classic car policy, on a 22 year old mini, not a normal policy, but Footman James was the broker.
    As it's a classic car policy, it's a flat rate, so doesn't accrue a NCD, but will give the opportunity to state you have driven for x years without a claim, then negotiate an introductory discount with someone else.
    My daughter doesn't intend to swap to another car, unless it's a mini cooper, so she plans to keep a classic policy for several years.
    She may end up in the same boat as the op, but saying as she is saving £1000 to £2000 a year at the moment, it's a risk she's happy to take.
  • Redspider_2
    Options
    Thank you very much, my husband is on to it now :-)
  • Jake_Afc
    Jake_Afc Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    that footman james states that you have to be of the age of 25+
  • cha1kie
    Options
    Jake_Afc wrote: »
    first of all thank for your replies
    if i use my mums car i think that i would use it more than her so am i best off to get my own insurance or get put on her policy?
    Ben, do you no any independent insurers i only no off the big name insurer e.g direct line those types, but as i said the cheapest quote ive had for a 1.1l peugeot 206 has been £2000 i would off thought it would be way cheaper than that but could it be that im percieved as a 'boy racer' and the fact where i am from probably dont help things aswell (essex). what would you call a classic car aswell? and mikey its alot cheaper for girls though isnt it?
    Also can i get some advise on PASS PLUS, weather i should do it or not.
    Thanks in advance

Hi jake,
    I'm currently trying to get insurance for my 17 year old but nothings coming up under £5000, can i ask who quoted you £2000 as thats a very good quote.
    Also tried the classic car route but have to be over 25.
    good luck with your search.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2010 at 10:53PM
    Options
    Jake_Afc wrote: »
    that footman james states that you have to be of the age of 25+

I can only speak for a classic mini policy, and a quote to put my daughter on my beach buggy policy with them, (for £1700) but they do insure 17 year olds, (from personal experience) for a very good price.
    If you are reading from the website, you really have to spend time on the phone to get the best deal.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If a family member has ANY kind of insurance policy with the Co-Op, then any new policies taken-out by yet-to-be-insured family members get a 25% NCD.

Whatever happens, the main driver MUST be the policy holder.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Jake_Afc
    Options
    chalkie im pretty sure that its LV (liverpool victoria) ive looked and rung soo many places its not even funny anymore, on the comparison website asda quoted me £12 000 and the cars worth £1000 :s. and cheers mikey ill just give them a ring see what they say, i passed 6 weeks ago now i just want to drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they wonder why young drivers drive without insurance becasue its so high
  • Jake_Afc
    Options
    hi guys just got a quote from 'coverbox' of £1500 there company is pay as you drive like in miles the less you drive less you pay etc. is this a good idea? i will be going onto my mums insurance as a named driver with this company i hope
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure