need some help/advice mppi

Options
-SDW-
-SDW- Posts: 137 Forumite
edited 16 July 2010 at 10:25AM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
I had Halifax total mortgage protection plan which i took out with my halifax mortgage as i was self employed ...2 years into mortgage i had an accident and claimed on policy and it paid my mortgage for 8 months..great... a further 2 years later i sold house and bought a new house but halifax could not give me mortgage as my credit rating had gone down ...so they arranged a mortgage from birmingham midshire..i've had the bms mortgage for 4 and a half years now....i gave up my self employement and worked for a company for 2 years then got made redundant...i phoned bms morgage and told them this , they said i did not have any insurance so could not claim..fair enough ... the thing is,, i looked at bank statements today and for the last 4.5 years i've been paying the £162.00 halifax mpp !!!..but i dont have a halifax mortgage...i know bms is owned by halifax..i think i would be due back my 4.5 years worth of insurance...what do you think..any advice or how to go about it?? cheers Dave
HBOS charges..£7000.00 recieved.
Egg cc..£1300 recieved.
Barclaycard cc..£ 568 recieved.
A&L loan..£1677 recieved..HBOS cc..£3500. HBOS.. loan £919.HBOS.cc charges. £1400 MPPI £21799 recieved

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the Halifax MPPI is tied only to Halifax mortgages then you could argue that they should have notified you to cancel the MPPI when you left them. However, if the MPPI covers all mortgages then you have no grounds for getting your premiums back.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • -SDW-
    -SDW- Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    cheers for reply..i'll need to find that out..but,if halifax owns bms why did they say i was not insured when i was made redundant?,,surely they cant have it both ways? I bet they would not backdate my claim from date of redundcy..case for the fos i think.
    HBOS charges..£7000.00 recieved.
    Egg cc..£1300 recieved.
    Barclaycard cc..£ 568 recieved.
    A&L loan..£1677 recieved..HBOS cc..£3500. HBOS.. loan £919.HBOS.cc charges. £1400 MPPI £21799 recieved
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    but,if halifax owns bms why did they say i was not insured when i was made redundant?

Subsidiary companies wont know what insurances or products you hold.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure