PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    An ex of mine never used shampoo and his hair was gorgeous, really long and thick. It didn't smell at all. I think he used to bicarb it but instead of having it as a paste he used to comb it through then rinse out. Although I might be forgetting some important aspect of it, it was a fair few years ago!

My husband used to get such bad scalp that he stopped using shampoo several years ago. He just rinses his hair in water. His hair and scalp are in good condition and feels clean all the time! I have heard of others who do this too, but the shampoo makers and sellers have done such a good job of washing our brains as well as our hair:rotfl:

I never could cope with 'water only' because I know that it takes a few months sometimes, of dullness or lankness before the scalp and hair adjusts. That's why I think I'll try the bicarb etc, to get me through the few few weeks or months. I already use unperfumed organic shampoos, but I still get itchy eczema all the time - and the price certainly isn't OS:eek:
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    budgeteer wrote: »
    My husband used to get such bad scalp that he stopped using shampoo several years ago. He just rinses his hair in water. His hair and scalp are in good condition and feels clean all the time! I have heard of others who do this too, but the shampoo makers and sellers have done such a good job of washing our brains as well as our hair:rotfl:

I think i'm going to see if I can persuade DS1 to try this as he has eczema and shampoos always irritate his scalp. He's going to 2 festivals this summer so at least he will blend in with the grungy crowd!

I just got back from work and now I have a problem....my boss/sister want's me to increase my hours! Currently I do 2 days a week but she want's me to do as many as I can, which sounds great because it's extra money but the kids break up from school next week and I really like spending time with them :( We are managing on our income so I don't actually need the money but it's always nice to add to the savings and I like to help out my sis as much as possible...oh dear not sure what to do now!
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    Ooh, do tell - are you working with midwives or the morgue?!

lol neither but it's one where, unfortunately, you're always going to have demand due to the nature of the problem..iykwim, pm me if you want to know exactly but if i say here it's too obvious and identifying ;)

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    flipperOSN wrote: »
    The pensions thing makes me :mad: Call me spoilt but I don't wish to work until I am 67 and fit to drop! My mother is 70 and has early alzheimers. If that happens to me I'd have almost no time at all to actually be retired and enjoy it!

I'm 40 and I honestly don't expect to get a state pension before I'm 70 :(

Sou
  • Grumpycupple
    Grumpycupple Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    I would say can I jump in here but as I am an OP I dont think I should.

I am finding your HM cleaning products fascinating but it will have to wait till I finish my WU liquid that I bought in Mr A a few months back. I have started using Mr S's Fairtrade teabags and everyone seems to like them.

I really feel for the ones who are having to carry on working for much longer and worry what will happen to the ones who have a physically demanding job.

We brought our children up during the eighties so I know what a struggle it can be. Also there wasn't the interwebs then to advise.Thank heavens for MSE.
    Then God looked over all he had made, and said, "I can see idiots from my house".

Noam Chromsky "There's nothing wrong with picking the lesser of two evils"...you end up with less evil.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    flipperOSN wrote: »
    The pensions thing makes me :mad: Call me spoilt but I don't wish to work until I am 67 and fit to drop! My mother is 70 and has early alzheimers. If that happens to me I'd have almost no time at all to actually be retired and enjoy it!

You're not spoilt, you're sensible!
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elizabunny wrote: »
    I so agree with you on this pagangirl. Youngsters just starting out on their working life will expect to be working until they're probably around 68, they will not expect buses passes or whatever until they are 65 because these are the changes being implemented now, but I am sure they wouldn't appreciate being told at age 50+ they now have to work until they're 70+. Not getting at youngsters at all here and feel sorry for the future that some of them will have now, due to the economic mess, but just trying to make the point that it is wrong to keep moving the goalposts and I am realy fed up with them moving mine!

Hi - cut your quote a bit short but I hope it's ok....just wanted to say that at 50 I find i have to work until 66, so goodness knows what changes will be sneaked in to younger people's retirement age.
    W
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you all stop talking for a few hours please,:D
    I have several days worth of catching up to do on the old thread, never mind this one!

Work out your when you can claim your pension:

http://pensions.direct.gov.uk/en/state-pension-age-calculator/home.asp

Did mine...................

You will reach State Pension age November 2028 You will be 66 years old Time until you reach State Pension age 18 years, 3 months and 27 days

To qualify for a full basic State Pension you will need to have built up 30 years of National Insurance payments (can I stop paying now please I've paid them;))

If you live in England, you will be entitled to a concessionary bus pass from November 2028

Only a few years ago I would have been 12 years and 3 months away from my pension and bus pass, now I've got to wait 18 years.
    I dont feel like I have 18 years worth of energy left most days!

Its hubbys birthday today; he has had one of those weeks, failed MOT on Monday £750:eek: to repair, needs van for work, no van no work, shopped around got it down to £500, but 3 days off work so no pay for those days, not the best birthday he's had, but he has fixed the side gate/shed door and a fence panel that wobbled :D
    money going out faster than coming in this month:mad: never mind, we can live on courgettes if needed :rotfl:

Right back off to old thread to catch up:D
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    I just want to say thanks for all the advice :) I'll probably just be a lurker now as I don't have much to say xx
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    What a fabulous post silvercharming - thank you very much :)

I've never made home-made anything, so I could do with an idiots guide :o

For example, for the washing up mixture, when you say "top up with boiling water", how much would that be? Are you making a pint, ½ a pint? More? I can't quite visualise what I'm going to end up with IYKWIM :o and can any essential oil be used?

Personally - I already make the laundry "gloop" as detergent and have written down the washing-up liquid recipe.:D

I am missing a good, cheap carpet shampoo recipe though - so if anyone has one please do tell...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure