Advise, Please Help

Options
we hope you can help, my step daughter has just moved into her own flat only a few weeks ago and is trying to sort out stuff. well shes a typical teenager and only has a mobile so it costs us a fortune to call her so we suggested that she get the house phone in to make life a little easyer. we said we would sort it out for her, well we phoned the telephone company who said that she cold have the phone installed free of charge which we thought was great until they had to do a credit check, it seems that the person who lived there before has run up huge debts, therefore phone cannot be connected (well not unless we pay £500, which we wont do nor can afford) which way do we go from here to rectify this problem? :confused: any answers would be great.

Comments

• piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure that somebody will be along shortly with more specific advice on how to deal with this, but is there no way that you can prove that your stepdaughter is not this other person? :confused:

Thats to say, the phone company must have a name for the person who ran up the debt (it can't just be in the house number/name), so your stepdaughter's proof of identity, together with a rent book/letter from landlord proving that she's only just moved in, should go some way to sorting this problem...

Hope you manage to get it sorted. :D

Piglet
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there any chance you can get her a cheaper sim for her phone - one that throws in lots of free texts or talk time?

Do you have access to different phone companies in your area so you can try getting a new company to install a phone & line?

Other than that I am not sure what to suggest.

However GOOD LUCK in resovling your problem.

xx
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Debts run up by third parties should not affect your daughter's credit rating.
    You should tell the phone company that neither you, nor your daughter, have any association with any previous occupant (tenant or owner) of that property. You can ask any credit reference agency to remove any incorrect information held on your daughter's file.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • BestFootForward_2
    Options
    well shes a typical teenager and only has a mobile so it costs us a fortune to call her
    Can't really help with the phone company bit except to try phoning them a couple of times to make sure the answer is consistent. Maybe ask nicely to speak to a supervisor/ manager etc. I would have thought this would be discretionary.

But you can cut down on your phone bill though. Martin has an excellent article of cutting the cost of your phone bill. E.g. 18185 is 3p per minute for evenings, and 2p per minute for weekends, but there's even cheaper ways for the evening calls
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1095003038,99872,

Lightbulb moment: June 2006:shocked:
    Debts June 2006: £18,100
    Egg Card [strike]£13,400 [/strike] £12,350; Loan [strike]£3,500[/strike] £2,300; Other [strike]£3,700[/strike] £3,100; Overdraft [strike]£1,500[/strike] £585
    Debts Setp 2006: £15,300
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you not offer to act as guarantor to the phone company?

Also, there is more than one telephone supplier - have you shopped around?
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport