Time between cancelling/applying

Options
I currently have a Northern Rock/Co-Operative Bank credit card, but am planning to cancel it since they will be introducing a £2 monthly fee. I was turned down for a credit card last year, which was probably down to my low income. So if I cancel my current card, how long should I leave it before applying for another one? I'm considering the Egg Money card. Thanks.

Comments

• humfer
    humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know why you were turned down for the one you applied for last year? You should normally leave it a couple of months if worried about a spate of activity appearing on your credit history but you just have the one card, it may be worth applying for another one now. The rejection last year may just be down to something else. Also if you bank with one of the banks and have a current account, apply with them as they know you and you may have a better chance of getting a card with them
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It took my co-op card 6 weeks to update my experian credit report
    to show my balance as zero,
    then another 6 weeks to show the account settled.

They're not the fastest. !
    Balance paid and card closed within 2 weeks.

Regards
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    The rejection last year may just be down to something else.

I agree. Obviously, you want to cancel this card to avoid the wretched fee, but there's no need to jump through hoops to close it down before you've signed up for the new credit card.

When did you last check your credit file?
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • englandexpects
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I don't know why I was turned down for the credit card last year. I could probably get the Natwest card with my account there, but they only do airmiles, which aren't much use to me as I never travel abroad! That's why I was hoping for a cashback card, as I always pay the balance in full each month. I've never checked my credit file - I'm 21 and the Northern Rock was my first credit card, so I didn't think I needed to.
  • humfer
    humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I don't know why I was turned down for the credit card last year. I could probably get the Natwest card with my account there, but they only do airmiles, which aren't much use to me as I never travel abroad! That's why I was hoping for a cashback card, as I always pay the balance in full each month. I've never checked my credit file - I'm 21 and the Northern Rock was my first credit card, so I didn't think I needed to.

You could try the free trial with one of the credit search companies, but that does take some hassle. You probably have nothing to loose then by applying for a Morgan Stanley card and seeing what happens. If this is refused then it is worth having a look at your credit history, but I would'nt worry too much at the moment. Oh and talking of cashback cards steer clear of GE as they are ultra picky
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure