Please help an idiot!

Options
elfen
elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
I've got a digital meter at my flat (electric only)

I managed to get a read of it today and its 04816...when I moved in it was 04666.....now there's NO WAY I've used 150 kw/h in 2 months....so it there a possibilty of there being a decimal? So 1st reading was 0466.6 and this reading is 04816.6?
** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
**SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
I do it all because I'm scared.

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So according to your last parapgrah you think you have used 4359 KWH over 60 days that's 72.6kwh's per day :eek:

Is every other flat in the block running though your meter:D

When you say that don't believe you have used 150Kwh's do you mean think you have used less or think you have used more?

As a 150kwh's over 60 days is only 2.5kwh per day. Which is amazing in an all electric flat.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The decimal place normally has a different colour/background(red/white on mine) but the meter will have 5 digits plus the decimal(e.g. 12345.6)

So the opening reading could have been 00466.6 which would mean you have used 4,350kWh
  • elfen
    Options
    Whoops, sorry. Was meant to be 0481.6
    Quite a probability I have only used 2.5 a day...considering I only put stuff on after 7 (meant to be E7 I think but I've never seen any evidence of that) and I barely watch TV, the only things that are on all the time are my alarm clock and the fridge freezer. And my lappy's got a 7 hour battery life.....so 2.5kwh per day is reasonable I guess.
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    Options
    elfen wrote: »
    I've got a digital meter at my flat (electric only)

I managed to get a read of it today and its 04816...when I moved in it was 04666.....now there's NO WAY I've used 150 kw/h in 2 months....so it there a possibilty of there being a decimal? So 1st reading was 0466.6 and this reading is 04816.6?

Doesn't sound wrong to me....My bills when i had an electric only flat were pretty high too but that sounds reasonable to me...
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it an all electric heated flat?
  • Cardew
    edited 14 July 2010 at 7:37PM
    Options
    Whoops, sorry. Was meant to be 0481.6
    Quite a probability I have only used 2.5 a day...considering I only put stuff on after 7 (meant to be E7 I think but I've never seen any evidence of that) and I barely watch TV, the only things that are on all the time are my alarm clock and the fridge freezer. And my lappy's got a 7 hour battery life.....so 2.5kwh per day is reasonable I guess.

E7 is Economy 7 and you will have 2 meters, cheap electricity for 7 hours from around midnight. Could that be just the night meter you read?

Do you not use shower, bath, washing machine, cooker/microwave, dishwasher, hot water, dryer?

The average property(with gas for heating and hot water), uses around 10kWh electricity per day.

Your fridge freezer alone will use 1kWh a day on average.

Where do you charge your laptop battery?

Do you not have a modem?

2.5kWh a day? Mmmmm
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    150kWh at 15p (Tier 1) per kWh is £22.50.
    £11 a month?
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    Options
    Now you put it like that, my word i would never have got away with that in my electric flat. I know I was in a bit more than you but still...
  • elfen
    edited 14 July 2010 at 7:51PM
    Options
    Heating hasn't been on, it's one storage heater and I have blankets if I get cold (laughable considering the past month)
    I usually go home one weekend a month, so I'm not here.
    Hot water is an immersion and is on half an hour twice weekly (which does all my showers/washing up etc)
    Washing machine is on once a week on the quickest cycle at 30 degrees and is then air-dried/outside dried.
    Don't have a microwave, nor toaster, hairdryer, don't use straighteners (short hair) and I play music through my laptop.
    No modem, I have wireless built in my laptop, which charges in 2 - 2 1/2 hours and has a 7 hour charge.
    Cooker uses 1 kw per half-hour, had the extractor, hob and oven on (is a convection with a halogen hob) I usually only cook 2-3 times a week and have salad/cold meals the rest. (I know cos I checked the meter before and after using, and it had gone up by 1)
    Shower - 5 to 10 mins every day, once maybe twice a week it's 15.
    Don't use the bath, I turn all lights and electric things off at the plug before going to bed (or after use) TV is on probably 4 hours a day in the evening, sometimes my DVD player is on for 2-3 hours (small DVD player, 14" CRT TV, signal booster - mains powered - aerial)
    I try to use as little as possible, but there is the possibility it said 7 not 1 - so 0487.7

Cardew, I read the meter mid-afternoon so there's not much of a chance it being on E7 (if that even is what I've got) And thinking about it, and looking at usage, it probably is 04666 and now 04877 - still only used just over 200kWh in two months is probably easily done.
  • Cardew
    Options
    Heating hasn't been on, it's one storage heater and I have blankets if I get cold (laughable considering the past month)
    I usually go home one weekend a month, so I'm not here.
    Hot water is an immersion and is on half an hour twice weekly (which does all my showers/washing up etc)
    Washing machine is on once a week on the quickest cycle at 30 degrees and is then air-dried/outside dried.
    Don't have a microwave, nor toaster, hairdryer, don't use straighteners (short hair) and I play music through my laptop.
    No modem, I have wireless built in my laptop, which charges in 2 - 2 1/2 hours and has a 7 hour charge.
    Cooker uses 1 kw per half-hour, had the extractor, hob and oven on (is a convection with a halogen hob) I usually only cook 2-3 times a week and have salad/cold meals the rest. (I know cos I checked the meter before and after using, and it had gone up by 1)
    Shower - 5 to 10 mins every day, once maybe twice a week it's 15.
    Don't use the bath, I turn all lights and electric things off at the plug before going to bed (or after use) TV is on probably 4 hours a day in the evening, sometimes my DVD player is on for 2-3 hours (small DVD player, 14" CRT TV, signal booster - mains powered - aerial)
    I try to use as little as possible, but there is the possibility it said 7 not 1 - so 0487.7

Cardew, I read the meter mid-afternoon so there's not much of a chance it being on E7 (if that even is what I've got) And thinking about it, and looking at usage, it probably is 04666 and now 04877 - still only used just over 200kWh in two months is probably easily done.

If you have a storage heater, you are very probably correct that you have E7(Economy 7) However in that case you will have 2 meters or 2 readings on the same meter - one reads off peak and the other daytime.(can you press a button to change the reading?) I would be pretty certain that you are just reading the night meter to have only used 200kWh in 2 months.

You might have wireless on your laptop - but what provides the wireless signal? or do you use mobile?

If you shower as much as you say, either the water is not heated by the immersion heater in a Hot Water tank and you have an electric shower, or the immersion is coming on at night on E7(which is what should happen) You certainly will not have enough hot water for showering etc by switching the immersion on for 1 hour a week(you are probably just switching the immersion to boost. Either way your showers alone will use a lot of electricity.

There is absolutely no way with the usage you describe are you using 200kWh in 2 months!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport