Huge bill backdated for 20 months

Options
I have just received an electricity bill for £4,000 from my supplier saying it covers the last 20 months. We have been receiving bills for that period which have been quite low but we didn't question them as many of the bills were actual readings. When I queried this with the supplier they said they had been over-riding the readings as they were much higher than the previous few years. Can they do this and just expect me to pay up ??

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately these days Utility bills are all handled by computer and are untouched by human hand!!! The computer program is designed to disregard meter readings that it 'thinks' are incorrect(lots of people misread meters) and it substitutes an estimated reading. Once this error has happened once, all subsequent readings will be disregarded until there is human intervention.

So whilst they may have had 'actual readings' given to them, if that meter reading is 'overridden' the bills will state each reading is estimated and of course their valid argument is you should have checked each bill against the meter reading and notified them of any discrepancy and then the 'human intervention' would have happened.

So as you have been getting bills, the 12 month backbilling rule does not apply, and it is a valid debt.

That said you clearly have a case to argue that they also share some of the blame, and you might have a case for some reduction of the outstanding balance; even if it is just a 'goodwill gesture' and obviously you can pay back the debt over the same period as it took to build up.
  • foxglove666
    foxglove666 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I agree the debt is true and will probably stand. Back billing policy wont apply as it's not been 2 years and you have been getting bills. However it may depend on the amount of failed reads your supply has. one failed for being out of tolarence happens, the next should either back it up or fall inline with the prevoius reads. If there is a third failed reading you may have a case for a good will gesture as this is poor service.

Hope this helps, ask for a gesture of good will and an extended payment plan. If no joy ask to speak to a manager, the complaints team or mention your going to speak to consumer direct or the energy ombudsman.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So you've amassed a shortfall of £4k in less than 2 years? :eek:

That's one heck of a shortfall. Many people don't even use £4k' s worth of leccy in that period.

So you were using above average amounts of leccy and admit you were getting low bills ... extremely low it appears. Welcome to the real world where debts will eventuially catch up with you.

The good news is that you could try and negotiate another 20 months (the period the debt accrued over) to repay the £4k you probably owe. The bad news is that over that time, which will be 3.5 years in total including the original 20 months, you won't be able to switch supplier. My guess is that with such high usage, chances are you are not currently on the cheapest deal.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    The bad news is that over that time, which will be 3.5 years in total including the original 20 months, you won't be able to switch supplier. My guess is that with such high usage, chances are you are not currently on the cheapest deal.
    You might be able to switch to a cheaper deal with the same supplier though. If there is a lock in longer than your repayment time, be careful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport