Help please electric charges

Options
lazyfox
lazyfox Posts: 47 Forumite
I moved home in nov last year,just before moving my electric metre was changed from card to key as i was on prepayment metre.The company have spend the last 8 months trying to say i owe them money.They say when my card was changed to key prices changed and i owe them over £400.After many calls to them it went down to £105.They have now gone to a collection agency to claim this money.How can it go down from 400 to 105 on a prepayment metre when its not my fault they didnt charge the increase.Whenever you top up your card or key info is sent to that on how much to charge i was told.So please what do i do ? I refuse to pay this.HELP PLEASE :mad:

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Put in it's basic terms, the meter records what you consume.

When you buy credit, the money you pay is applied to your account.

If the money you have spent buying credit doesn't cover the cost of the consumption recorded, then you owe the supplier the difference.

But you should be entitled to a full explanation from the supplier of how any debt was calculated.

Similarly, why any reduction of the debt was allowed (e.g. they may have made an ex-gratia credit, they may be prevented from collecting old charges due to the 12 month back billing rule, etc)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • lazyfox
    lazyfox Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    All they told me was that they didnt charge me enough, well it went down from over £400 to £105 in 2 weeks , how can they justify this? I was on prepayment for that reason so i dont get no bills but they are trying to get this money from me.Its not my fault they didnt charge enough is it?? It all came about before i moved and i think its ridulous that these companies can do this, people on prepayment metres already pay over charges it just doesnt seem right to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport