We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

house plant food-cheap substitute for baby bio?

Options
hi
does anyone know a cheap and/or home-made substitute for baby bio? what can i put on houseplants as fertiliser/plant food? preferably something i would already have in the cupboard :smiley:

Comments

• CM86_2
    CM86_2 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Baby Bio's half price in Sainsbury's at the mo, £0.60 a bottle.... Just noticed it! :)
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I read on these forums ages ago that if you swish an empty milk container out with some water and use that to water plants, the little bit of milk acts as a fertiliser. Every little helps, and it has done my plants no harm! Also, during the autumn and winter do plants need fertiliser, it not being growing season? I don't think so - otherwise why would Baby Bio be half price if it's not a seasonal product - but don't quote me on that...
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The dirty water from a fish tank is supposed to contain all the nutrients a plant needs or so I read somewhere. Helps if you keep fish though!:D
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• thriftmonster
    Options
    SnowyOwl wrote:
    I read on these forums ages ago that if you swish an empty milk container out with some water and use that to water plants, the little bit of milk acts as a fertiliser. Every little helps, and it has done my plants no harm! Also, during the autumn and winter do plants need fertiliser, it not being growing season? I don't think so - otherwise why would Baby Bio be half price if it's not a seasonal product - but don't quote me on that...

I have done this to my tomatoes this summer and there is a fabulous crop
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    Apparantly my G grandmother always watered her plants with watered down left over cold tea.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Apparantly my G grandmother always watered her plants with watered down left over cold tea.

thats a good one, but even better for feeding plants is get a container fill it with nettles and water leave it outside and let it ferment, use the brew one part in ten with water to feed plants. Comfrey is even better if you know where some grows (like nettles it's a weed), just remember this should be made outside because in the early stges it's a bit whiffy, after 4 or 5 days its fine.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have heard of cold tea/the tea bags innards left ontop of the soil/cool water left over from boiled eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar dissolved in some water once a month for a super growth and bloom burst.
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The water from boiling potatos acts as a fertilizer, even better if they are new pots/boiled in their skins. Cold tea only works on acid loving plants like camelias apparently:confused:
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • rls1973
    Options
    thanks for all your suggestions folks, i'll give 'em all a try! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills