Options
13»

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    davidtopps wrote: »
    yes, high risk is emphasized. i was thinking one option - shares of GSK or Kraft?

This is a UK site. Your spelling suggests you are American. You may find an American site is more appropriate for you.

Also, it is against board rules to get in to discussion about what shares to buy.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2009 at 7:38PM
    Options
    GSK is a large blue chip UK based multinational company, in the share universe it wouldn't be seen as high risk.Kraft is a US based one, currently involved in a takeover bid for the UK company Cadbury, so likely to be volatile in the short term.

Are you UK or US based? Are you looking for a share-based investment or 'products', which would typicaly mean unit trusts/mutual funds?

A portfolio of say 10-20 UK or US based blue chip shares paying decent dividends would be a reasonable way of accessing stockmarkets at this time of low interest rates.To lower risk, a 5 year time frame is normally recommended for equities.If that's too long, then keep a larger percentage of the funds in cash.
    Also, it is against board rules to get in to discussion about what shares to buy.
    Discussion of shares is allowed, ramping is not.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oil and Gas exploration is about as high-risk, high-return as you can get.

Kurdistan, Iraq, Falklands all very popular atm
  • davidtopps
    Options
    so to conclude so far, £40.000 into an ISA, 10K each to GSK and Kraft? Does that make sense for a 50 year old looking to invest into high risk? For me it makes sense. That way risk diversifies, right? what do pros think?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    so to conclude so far, £40.000 into an ISA,

You can't put £40k into an ISA. Maximum is £10,200 and only £5100 of that can be cash.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,178 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    so to conclude so far, £40.000 into an ISA, 10K each to GSK and Kraft? Does that make sense for a 50 year old looking to invest into high risk? For me it makes sense. That way risk diversifies, right? what do pros think?

Not a pro but, IMHO this is not serious investing, its closer to inefficient gambling with limited upside and major downside.

For a high risk diversified portfolio of £20K I would suggest 4 X 2 X £2500 funds or ETFs each pair in a different area. Suitable areas include emerging markets, raw materials/commodities, property, technology, far east (non Japan), small companies.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hello!

seeking quick advice! Someone from my family inherited £60.000. He is 55 years old and said he is looking for risky investment. so he has high risk tolerance.

thank you in advance!!

dave :money:

Has he considered marriage..?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    so to conclude so far, £40.000 into an ISA, 10K each to GSK and Kraft? Does that make sense for a 50 year old looking to invest into high risk? For me it makes sense. That way risk diversifies, right?
    That's not remotely close to reasonable diversification. The companies operate in the same industrial sector.

For a broader diversification, still at high volatility, a UK investor might use unit trusts investing in emerging markets of specific countries or regions. Say Latin America or Asia for regions or a BRIC fund for four of the major emerging economies. Also at high volatility are raw materials funds and even higher are oil-based funds.

A fifty year old person who's looking to invest at high risk and needs to ask for help should probably be going for unit trusts rather than direct share holdings.
  • rekles
    Options
    katieowl wrote: »
    I am loooking to do a similar exercise for an elderly friend I have Power of Attorney for... a bit more than £60K. DH and I had already decided that it was best to spread it about - when you say covered by financial compensation people, do you know what sort of sum we should have in each account to be covered?

The money is in one place at the moment (I am actually going to see them later today!) regarding moving it from a current account to one that pays interest, and my friend has a Bld Soc account with Abbey who WILL NOT sort out the POA (but that is another story) I asked in my bank about opening a savings account, but because of the money laundering regs, as my friend who is 86 (and in a care home) does not have a passport or driving license they say they can't do it - so I am obviously going to have problems....

I was going to try Woolwich, but they are part of Barclays, where the current account is...so basically the same institution?

Any suggestions would be gratefully recived :)

Regards

Kate
    I have gone through similar difficulties with Abbey! I have opened accounts in other institutions without passport etc. They have accepted recent tax documents or letters from the DWP. Any "official" correspondence with the name of the individual addressed to the care home is sometimes requested. you as the attorney will of course need the court of protection registered copy and probably your passport together with a tax document etc to prove who you are. Once these have been presented it usually works OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure