Any advice, gratefully received!

I am trying (like mad!) to get a new job. I am currently a teaching assistant in a primary school. I work 30 hours a week for £7500! If I didn't get Tax Credits I couldn't survive!
Problem is my daughter is 19 soon, so her tax credits and child benefit will stop, so I need to make up the money.
I've had a C.V. done, but nothing seems to be happening, I can't even get interviews. I haven't been in an office since I was 17, I've worked as a Library assistant and teaching assistant since then, so is that it? Or is it because I'm now 45?

Can anyone give me some advice how to at least get an interview? I'm getting really downhearted at the moment!

:(
I Believe in saving money!!!:T
A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there some training you can do or do you want to be a teaching assistant? You may still be able to get some Working Tax Credit as you work over 30 hours and are over 25. Also have a look at Housing Benefit (if you rent) and Council Tax Benefit to see if you are entitled. Is your daughter working or looking for work? If so and she lives at home, she could be contributing (even if she is on benefits there's no reason why she can't contribute something too). Good luck with your quest for interviews, perhaps your cv needs looking at again and re-wording?
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Thanks for that, I've tried to claim Council Tax benefit, but they say I don't qualify. My daughter is a student at college at the moment, and then she is hoping become a stewardess with an airline, so I don't know if she'll still be at home!

Maybe I'll look at my C.V. again, anyone out there help with that!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure