PruHealth - reclaiming £1000 health insurance charges

Options
Hi,

Any advice on this would be really helpful.

I have a policy with PruHealth which I took out in 2006. I sent a letter to them in March 2009 requesting cancellation but just realised from my statements that I'm still being charged.

I'm going to call them up and try and get the money refunded. It's been £70 a month.

I was thinking that I could say that I got confused and thought it was my work policy. I left my job in Dec 08 and thought that it would be cancelled. Probably won't do this but anyway that is more likely to get me £1000 back.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally, I would reject your complaint on the basis that they never got any notification from you or your bank about the cancelled d/d. I cant see any grounds for refund.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • epicurus
    epicurus Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    You can't cancel a PruHealth Insurance policy by just cancelling the direct debit. They have to be informed directly.
  • halphy
    halphy Posts: 593 Forumite
    Options
    How did u send the letter (recorded), did u not get a reply?
  • Brize
    Brize Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    epicurus wrote: »
    You can't cancel a PruHealth Insurance policy by just cancelling the direct debit. They have to be informed directly.

It's good practice to cancel your Direct Debit with the bank whenever you cancel an insurance policy. That way, if your request to cancel isn't actioned, it will prompt the insurer to write to you. If you don't respond to an insurer's demands for payment, the policy will eventually lapse.

Unless you have some proof that you wrote to cancel the policy in March 2009, PruHealth won't backdate your cancellation request by 16 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure