ESA medical - pregnant with cancer

Options
Hi everyone, I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and have re-occuring thyroid cancer. I was diagnosed after my first pregnancy over 8 years ago but the blinking thing keeps coming back.
The treatment I require now is having to be delayed until my baby is born. I have been called for a medical assessment in 4 weeks time so I will be 24 weeks pregnant.
In all seriousness what can I be expected to do workwise? My GP has ruled me unfit to work indefinitely, my current sicknote takes me until September when I will be able to claim Maternity allowance.
I have read the points system for the assessment and its all about walking, cooking, sitting, standing etc. Well I will fail on all this because I can do them.
The main problems I have is extreme tiredness as a result of both pregnancy and cancer, stress, poor sleeping pattern, neck and shoulder pain as a result of 4 surgeries to remove the cancer, recurrent throat pain and hoarseness and back problems.
None of these things will be scored at the assessment so if I fail I will lose my ESA and have to claim jobseekers - am I right?
I am really worried about all this. :(
Can anyone give me any advice?
Thanks

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    You are not exempt from the WCA until 34 weeks, so you will need to attend. If you are found fit for work, you can claim the Assessment Rate whilst you appeal.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • idvi
    idvi Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    you might score some points (enough to qualify) but yeah, it is a strange set of rules

what about things like this?
    At least once a month, has an involuntary episode of lost or altered consciousness, resulting in significantly disrupted awareness or concentration - 9 points

At least twice in the six months immediately preceding the assessment, has had an involuntary episode of lost or altered consciousness, resulting in significantly disrupted awareness or concentration - 6 points

if you have thyroid cancer and are pregnant id guess 'drowsy episodes' are common?

what about these?
    3. Treated as having limited capability for work

You will be automatically treated as having a limited capability for work in the following circumstances:
    • you are receiving treatment by way of intravenous, intraperitoneal or intrathecal chemotherapy;
    • you are pregnant and there would be a serious risk to the health of you or your child if you did not refrain from work;
    • you are pregnant or have recently given birth and are entitled to maternity allowance and are within the maternity allowance payment period.
    • you are pregnant or have recently given birth but are not entitled to maternity allowance or statutory maternity pay, from 6 weeks before the baby is due to 2 weeks after the birth.

what are your symptoms?
    do you have any sort of pains or weakness? it might all add up ie:

Cannot stand for more than 30 minutes, even if free to move around, before needing to sit down - 6 points

or

Strangers have some difficulty understanding speech - 6 points (if its affecting your throat)

the points are here: http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/wr_esadescriptorslcwphysical
    2 esa medicals passed successfully (support group - it can be done!!)!! :j
  • idvi
    idvi Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    also NOT absolutely everyone needs a medical - 99% of people do, but some people dont always have to if they look at your form and speak/write to your doctor or oncologist.

if they see you are pregnant and have cancer - and might easily qualify for enough points in their eyes, they might need you to go to a medical (they do have that discretion if they think youd qualify easily)

ive had 3 're-assessments' but one of them wasnt a medical - i filled out the form and they decided not to put me through a medical that time
    2 esa medicals passed successfully (support group - it can be done!!)!! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport