We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

garden furniture care

Options
Ive just spent 2 1/2 hrs sanding the top only of my teak table outside & re teak oiling. It came up looking great again, but is there a quicker way? That was the easy bit, the underside will be difficault, but the intricate legs will be impossible!

I was thinking of sandblasting, anyone else tried this? Any ideas on how much wonga for a 8 seat table & chairs? Any other options rather than a couple of days cursing, or a new table?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never needed to sand mine - cover it in the winter and oil it in the summer and it seems to be ok. Do you cover yours or leave it out?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • hungrynurse_2
    Options
    it wont fold so needs leaving out all winter. I got a cover for it, but then a mouse nibbled it, but didnt get a new one for this winter, so it got left out. Guess Ill get one for this winter. Teak oil on teack oil on teak oil plus weather has left it looking rather dark, & the wood not particularly healthy. The top looks so much better having stripped off the top side down to bare wood today, Id like to get this look all over but just dont have the time (or patience!)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No cash-strapped teenagers around who might want to give a hand?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We jet wash our garden furniture, comes up great. Teak oil is not all it's cracked up to be IMHO
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • hungrynurse_2
    Options
    I do preferr the look of bare wood, but I do find that once a coat of teak oil is on, spilt drinks and rain just slides right off
  • mal2010
    Options
    Teak, though easily worked, can cause severe blunting on edged tools because of the presence of silica in the wood. Teak's natural oils make it useful in exposed locations, and is termite and pest resistant.
    Teak is durable even when not treated with oil or varnish.
    Plantation Teak is more susceptible to color change from UV exposure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure