TSB have done me!

Options
i owe TSB money, they sent it to a collections agency which i agreed to pay £10 a month. All was fine... but then a different agency phoned me, then another all on behalf of TSB! my mate claims in order to get the desired money out of me they have split the debt and sold it off to get more money out of me legally... is this bullyin legal?

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    If the debt all related to one account then it won't have been split up. If on the otherhand you owe for a credit card, a loan and an overdraft they could possibly have sold the different debts to different collectors.

What is more likely is that the debt collection agency is working under a couple of different names. Never agree to pay anyone until they write to you. Then write to ask for proof of the date and proof that the debt has been assigned to them (and therefore they have the right to collect the money from you). Once you have that proof you can arrange to repay them.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Options
    before you pay the collection agency anything get them to write to you with proof they are allowed to chase the debt and exactly what it relates to.

Should they provide the paperwork that proves they were assigned the debt then talk to TSB and ask them why they have outsourced it when you have an agreement in place and are sticking to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure