Solar pv price for installation

Options

Comments

• jerryd
    jerryd Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made a pro rate adjustment so that you can make a fair comparison.
    I'm working on it !
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    jerryd wrote: »
    I made a pro rate adjustment so that you can make a fair comparison.

Have you told Tesco what is fair?;)

Not that simple unfortunately.

If you were(to take a silly example) to fit a system comprising of a single 200wp panel on the roof would you expect it to cost £757 on a pro-rata basis?
  • zantos
    zantos Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quick note regarding the question of old style meters going backwards. Just been looking at my EDF t&c document and it states in section 4.7c
    "where the Generator has an Import Meter that rolls backwards as a result of electricity that has been generated by the Eligible installation, then FIT payments may not be payable and any Meter Readings which the Generator has provided may be considered to be invalid Meter Readings for the purpose of this Agreement."
    So don't expect any freebies from EDF!
    As an aside, does anybody know the frequency of the payments from the various electricity companies under the FIT scheme? EDF "apparently" pay 90 days in arrears of a submitted meter reading but I believe that the timing of payments is down to the individual companies - some only pay annually to the best of my knowledge which must make a difference in deciding which company to use for FIT payments, as this doesn't have to be your own supply company.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    zantos wrote: »
    Quick note regarding the question of old style meters going backwards. Just been looking at my EDF t&c document and it states in section 4.7c
    "where the Generator has an Import Meter that rolls backwards as a result of electricity that has been generated by the Eligible installation, then FIT payments may not be payable and any Meter Readings which the Generator has provided may be considered to be invalid Meter Readings for the purpose of this Agreement."
    So don't expect any freebies from EDF!

Wow - that has huge implications if they were to enforce that condition!

So an MCS installer, on behalf of an electricity company, can install an approved system - that(in theory) would not get FIT payments.

I wonder what Trading Standards would make of that issue if they were silly enough to try and enforce that condition.
  • noncom_2
    noncom_2 Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    Surely there are two scenarios here.....

1) Your energy supplier is also your FIT provider, in which case all they need to do is fit a meter that didn't go backwards.

2) Your energy supplier is not your FIT provider, in which case the FIT payer wouldn't really care if another energy company was being denied their profits.

Andy
  • SweetMoFo
    SweetMoFo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I have a couple of relevant questions if anyone can help.

I have an electronics company and one of my trade suppliers is now supplying PV Solar equipment. I can now get a 2960w (16x185w Mono Cells) for just under 5K+VAT. This includes panels, Inverter, meter and all the fixtures and fixings.

Question 1) If I buy this and get an approved installer to install it will I be eligible for the FIT money?

Question 2) Can anyone give me an Idea how much it may cost just for the install?

Thanks

p.s. I can not reveal who my suppliers are as they are trade secrets to my company so please don't ask.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SweetMoFo wrote: »
    I have a couple of relevant questions if anyone can help.

I have an electronics company and one of my trade suppliers is now supplying PV Solar equipment. I can now get a 2960w (16x185w Mono Cells) for just under 5K+VAT. This includes panels, Inverter, meter and all the fixtures and fixings.

Question 1) If I buy this and get an approved installer to install it will I be eligible for the FIT money?

Question 2) Can anyone give me an Idea how much it may cost just for the install?

Thanks

p.s. I can not reveal who my suppliers are as they are trade secrets to my company so please don't ask.
    Hi

Well first there's the VAT, if you buy the kit and could find a friendly MCS company to fit you'd be paying 20%, but a complete supply and install by the MCS installer would only attract 5% .....

I'd guess that the main problem with what you propose would be finding an approved installer to do the work and register it on the MCS database for you .... going through MCS assessment and paying to join the 'cartel' is a good little earner for those who have done it, remember, instead of making a few hundred pounds on the labour element of your job, the installer could be making quite a few thousand buying the equipment off the same distributor and adding a hefty margin .... Think of it as being similar to having your consumer board replaced .... materials around £80, labour about £80, part 'P' profit margin about another £400 - 'it's my reputation at stake mate, my neck's on the line, I'm legally responsible' etc ...

Owning an electronics company could give you an advantage if you could come to some form of reciprocal arrangement on goods or services but there is still a cost involved ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • SweetMoFo
    SweetMoFo Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2011 at 5:14PM
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Well first there's the VAT, if you buy the kit and could find a friendly MCS company to fit you'd be paying 20%, but a complete supply and install by the MCS installer would only attract 5% .....

I'd guess that the main problem with what you propose would be finding an approved installer to do the work and register it on the MCS database for you .... going through MCS assessment and paying to join the 'cartel' is a good little earner for those who have done it, remember, instead of making a few hundred pounds on the labour element of your job, the installer could be making quite a few thousand buying the equipment off the same distributor and adding a hefty margin .... Think of it as being similar to having your consumer board replaced .... materials around £80, labour about £80, part 'P' profit margin about another £400 - 'it's my reputation at stake mate, my neck's on the line, I'm legally responsible' etc ...

Owning an electronics company could give you an advantage if you could come to some form of reciprocal arrangement on goods or services but there is still a cost involved ....

HTH
    Z

Thanks for the reply. I will give a couple of local installers a ring and see what they say. It seems to me that even if they want £2000+ for the installation it will be well worth it.
  • growltiger
    Options
    Hi am new to this and idea of PV SOLAR PANELS.
    Am accumalting a lot of info but unable to sort wheat from chaff - help please.
    Live in N. Yorkshire in L shaped bungalow facing slightly west of south. have a long roof able to take 3.9 kwp (east and / or west). Quotes to date are however very differnt and all differnt panels and inverters - hence my inablity to move forward. 1. 16 X BOSCH 240, sonny boy inverter (no size given) on westerly facing roof space, effect. £13,000. 2. 20 x 200 Caymax, eversolar inverter 4000, for easterly facing roof, quoted reduced output 2532 from 3332 if south facing. effect £11,700. 3. 17 x 235 Canadian, G83 inverter (no size given) - same east facing described as orientation -90 and tilt of 30degrees, effect £11,000.
    Have I influenced 'salespeople' by saying 'oh I don't want it on the front of the house - hence 2 quotes for east roof but by time 3rd quote not so fussy! However amy have to go for black rimmed panels. Have been observing sun and shadows and westerly roof are has possibly shadow from next doors bungalow, which I;m assuming won't change in size, whereas easterly roof has enormous tree already some 10 metres from house and growing.
    How can I make an informed judgement.

Still waiting on visit and quote from M & S (altho think possibly £14000 with 20 percent off.) would I be wrong to assume M & S will maintain standards (with ref. to other products in shops.) Panels are Noble and inverter Sonnyboy.
    Please can anyone help before I give up the will to live! I want to know the 'best' panels and inverter to go for (from those quoted fro or others)- or is that too simplistic.
    I'd like a face for confused please.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    growltiger wrote: »
    Hi am new to this and idea of PV SOLAR PANELS.
    Am accumalting a lot of info but unable to sort wheat from chaff - help please.
    Live in N. Yorkshire in L shaped bungalow facing slightly west of south. have a long roof able to take 3.9 kwp (east and / or west). Quotes to date are however very differnt and all differnt panels and inverters - hence my inablity to move forward. 1. 16 X BOSCH 240, sonny boy inverter (no size given) on westerly facing roof space, effect. £13,000. 2. 20 x 200 Caymax, eversolar inverter 4000, for easterly facing roof, quoted reduced output 2532 from 3332 if south facing. effect £11,700. 3. 17 x 235 Canadian, G83 inverter (no size given) - same east facing described as orientation -90 and tilt of 30degrees, effect £11,000.
    Have I influenced 'salespeople' by saying 'oh I don't want it on the front of the house - hence 2 quotes for east roof but by time 3rd quote not so fussy! However amy have to go for black rimmed panels. Have been observing sun and shadows and westerly roof are has possibly shadow from next doors bungalow, which I;m assuming won't change in size, whereas easterly roof has enormous tree already some 10 metres from house and growing.
    How can I make an informed judgement.

Still waiting on visit and quote from M & S (altho think possibly £14000 with 20 percent off.) would I be wrong to assume M & S will maintain standards (with ref. to other products in shops.) Panels are Noble and inverter Sonnyboy.
    Please can anyone help before I give up the will to live! I want to know the 'best' panels and inverter to go for (from those quoted fro or others)- or is that too simplistic.
    I'd like a face for confused please.
    Can't help you on the technical side, I'm afraid, but unless things have changed in the last year M&S quotes and installations were being done by the same company - Mark Group - via Enact Energy.

Might be worth checking that out in your area and getting a Tesco quote too. We found that the M&S and eon quotes were much higher than the Tesco quote for much the same system from the same installers.

Tesco (Mark Group) did an excellent job for us, and I couldn't fault any aspect of the installation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure