Mature Student...any advice?

Options
16 years after leaving school I start art college :p Its something I should have done when I left originally but was persuaded otherwise by over zealous careers teachers.

Anyway, my circumstances seem to dictate Im not entitled to any help that I can see. I just wondered if there was anything I could claim to help me??

Im 32 and married with 2 kids (8 and 13). My husbands salary is approx £32,000 a year. We have a mortgage and just about scrape by on his earnings. Because I have to do a year's foundation course there is no course fee, but my HND will cost me next year. Its a full time course and Im not working (I hope to get a PT job somewhere when I know my hours).

Any advice?
Jane
x

Comments

• lisa_75
    lisa_75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. You will be entitled to take out a student loan which is about £4k a year. You can also opt for a loan to pay your fees. I have taken out my student loan and the loan for my fees as I feel it is an investment in my future and also covers thing like childcare/travel. You also don’t have to pay back your student loan until you are earning over £15k and the interest is very low.

You will also be entitled to 25% off your council tax. Your local council will be able to provide you with the relevant application form. You just need to send them proof you are a student that you will get when you enrol.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Wow! I didnt realise I was entitled to money off my council tax! Thank you!!

I had considered a student loan, but fortunately next year I have an endowment policy expiring which I hope will just cover my HND, my Dad has said he will also give me something towards it (Im 32 and he is still helping me bless him).

Im very nervous indeed, scared for the impact this may have on the family, and worried Im going to be the oldest student there! LOL!
    jane
    x
  • studentphil
    studentphil Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Options

I had considered a student loan, but fortunately next year I have an endowment policy expiring which I hope will just cover my HND, my Dad has said he will also give me something towards it (Im 32 and he is still helping me bless him).

Im very nervous indeed, scared for the impact this may have on the family, and worried Im going to be the oldest student there! LOL!
    jane
    x

There are students there right up to their 70s, so dont worry about being old.
    :beer:
  • lisa_75
    lisa_75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    Options

jane
    x

You won't be the oldest, not by a long way. I am 30 and a "young" mature student. Most of my friends on my course are older than me.

Going to uni has been the best thing I have ever done. It has really improved my confidence, social life and it is great for my children to see higher education as normal part of everyday life.

It is hard work combining family life with study, but many of us do it and it is easier than a full time job (I have never worked full time, but my friend who have say it is easier).

You will have a great time.
  • pulliptears
    Options
    Thanks guys! Its going to be a juggling act I feel, but its something I really want to do now.

Ill feel better when the enrollment is out of the way and I can settle into a routine I think.... then I need to find a PT job! Argos here I come I think eep!
  • missk_ensington
    Options
    Once you get to uni you can apply for the Access to Learning Fund. I got nearly £2695 earlier this year and I only applied on a whim thinking my £19,227 salary, plus £2,400 I was already getting in grants would be too high.

Someone on 30k with a large mortgage and priority debts, would ahve a better chance of getting some of the Fund that someone earning 10k a year with no commitments and no kids or anything. It only takes 5 minutes in any event so there's no reason to to at least try x
  • SamMoffatt28
    Options
    Hi, I cant really offer any financial advice as what has already been given is good, but can I offer you is some peace of mind perhaps?

I am 30 and a mother of 4 (aged 13, 11, 8 & 4) I have just spent 2 years doing a part time access course 2 evenings a week along with 2 part time voluntary jobs which I fitted in around the children being at school / nursery. I worked hard - probably much harder than anyone else on the course because I felt that I had to prove to myself and everyone else that I could do it. I have gained top grades and have secured a place for myself at Uni. I start at the end of the month. Yes, its a struggle, yes you have to juggle your time around your study time and your commitments but it is so worth it!! and if I can do it then I'm sure you can!! Its hard work but it can be done if you really want it bad enough!

Good luck xx
    Sam
  • pulliptears
    Options
    Thanks Sam. Thats great to hear! Luckily my husband is very supportive, and I have parents and inlaws who will help me with childcare etc.

missk_esignton, thank you for that info! Its worth a shot!
    Jane
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family