We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Which bank is offers the best AER for savings?

Options
My gf is trying to encourage me to save (for a better future) but I just want to contribute some part of my wage into a separate current savings account...

Which bank or online bank offers a better rate than 3.04% AER at smile?

http://www.smile.co.uk

I currently earn 15k per annum

All replies much appreciated.

Comments

• Aark
    Aark Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    You should read Martin's article on Current Accounts (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1079227088,97059,)

Alliance & Leicester Premier Plus Current Account (5.5%) and Lloyds TSB Classic Plus Current Account (5%) have conditions on minimum deposits etc. which need reading carefully.

The Intelligent Finance Current Account pays 4.5% if you also open a Direct Access Savings Account with them (only requires a £1 minimum balance).
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    Set up a smile ISA (4.75% TAX FREE) on line ('Open more accounts') and then set up a standing order for payday to transfer the amount you can afford straight in.

There are better rates out there (e.g. Abbey postal ISA @ 5.1%) but I've found that smile have consistently been not far off the pace and have always increased rates by the full quarter percent since rates started rising.

Plus i like their ethical policies & spot on service.
    Ethical moneysaver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family