Working tax credit overpayments and housing benefit

I received some working tax credit for the year ending April 2004. Mind you, they sent me lots and lots of award notices, many of which seemed to contradict each other. Some of them suggested there had been an overpayment, but others didn't.

Anyway, now it seems they think I have been overpaid after all. And they've sent me a notice to pay, and they want the money by March.

I wouldn't mind - but I also got housing benefit that year - and my housing benefit was reduced by 65p for every £1 of tax credit I received.

The net result is that I'm worse off than I would have been if I had never claimed working tax credit in the first place.

Is that right? And if so, how do I stop it happening again? Should I cancel my current WTC award? Advice please - thanks.
:p

Comments

• elaine373
    elaine373 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I dunno whether this is right or not, but you should get it checked out. Maybe you could go along to your citizens advice bureau and see if they can work out whether there has been an overpayment or not, and if there is, what your options are. Dont just accept it, they could be wrong or even if they are right, you may have other options with regard to paying it back.Dont panic by cancelling your present award, but do get it all looked asap. hope you get it sorted, regards, Elaine
    “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. Your really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” Lucille Ball.
  • zeryx
    zeryx Posts: 64 Forumite
    If you have received a notice to pay there is a helpline number on it - call them and they will be able to advise you.

If you are currently in receipt of WTC stick with it, just ensure that you keep your income updated if it goes outside the banding you were given on your award notice.
    Nice to save.
  • dag_2
    dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
    Thanks for the help. :) I'm currently hunting for Citizens Advice Bureaux in London, Kent or Surrey that open on a Saturday. I really can't afford to take days off work just for this.
    :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport