PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a new house - should I sell my flat or rent it out?

Options
Hi there!

My original plan had been to keep my flat as a pension pot. I would release some equity in the flat and use it as a deposit on a new house. I'd then rent my flat out.

All the figures allow me to do this i.e. have sufficient equity and would be able to achieve enough rent to cover the mortgage (on the flat) and expenses.

However, the dilema for me now is - is it wise to do this?

It will mean that I have to get a mortgage at a higher rate (probably 4% more than I could get with a higher deposit - as I'd have to leave some equity in the flat - and with a second property in the background). Also, the CGT changes.

I'm concerned that to keep the flat on will cost me more in the long run than I would make.

I'm not sure how CGT will affect me either - just had some people saying to me that it is bad news!

Can any of you help with some general advice/explanation of CGT?!

Thanks guys

:T

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have any experience as a professional landlord? Could you afford all of the mortgage repayments if you found yourself with a professional tenant who stopped paying the rent, trashed the place and it took you up to six months and the expense of taking them to court to evict them? If the answer is "no" then for goodness sake sell the flat and use the equity as a deposit on a new home.
  • dopester
    dopester Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst it seems unlikely, even preposterous to some people, what would happen if the property crash wasn't over?

Would you be able to swallow the flat falling further in value, and the new house you went on to buy also falling further in value?

Leverage is great in a rising market, but can break people's faces off in a falling market.
  • fragglepants
    Options
    You both raise good points for me to consider

Now, what about this blasted CGT?!
  • ET1976
    ET1976 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Options
    Basically, if you have made a chargeable gain, you will pay 18% on it if you are a lower rate tax payer and 28% on it if you're a higher rate tax payer (at today's rates).

However, your liabilty to pay CGT on a property you have lived in is likely to be small, or non-existant, unless the property increases hugely in price, or you rent it out for a very long time, because of the tax relief currently applicable to property gains.

There's an example here:

http://www.property-tax-portal.co.uk/taxquestion49.shtml

Of course, the rules and rates may change in future.

Overall, CGT should be much less of a concern to you than the points raised by the above posters, and the fact that you will be paying an (expected) 4% premium on your new residential mortgage, IMO.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ET1976 wrote: »
    Basically, if you have made a chargeable gain, you will pay 18% on it if you are a lower rate tax payer and 28% on it if you're a higher rate tax payer

bit too simple :D
    the new rules mean the (net) gain is added to your normal (Income tax) income and if this total is above the Higher Rate Income Tax threshold then you will pay a portion of the gain at 28%

therefore, if the gain is big enough, even a basic rate income tax payer will incur higher rate CGT, ie it does not apply only to existing higher rate Income Tax payers
  • ET1976
    ET1976 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Options
    sorry!

but my main point still stands.
  • poolboy
    poolboy Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    also you have 36 months from buying the second property to dispose of the flat free of cgt liability.

It all depends on where it is - smart SW London borough keep it as the prices will outperforn inflation & the letting yield will tick over at c 4%.

Also factor in the pension pot, if its a good flat your pension is sorted & you may not need to contribute anything else.
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    Options
    As it stands at the moment you would have 3 years (assuming you have always lived in this flat) after you moved out wher there would still be no CGT issues as at present the final 3 years of owenership are disregarded for CGT purposes if you have claimed PPR erelief (ie its your main house)

Can you afford any vacant periods if you decide to let it out possibly with 2 mortgages to pay

Seriously consider this if I was you. Not many people seem to think house prices are going up significantly any time soon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure