PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS answer to Moth larvae, anyone?

Options
I did a "Kim & Aggie" on my bedroom, today. Horror of horrors, underneath the pine shelf unit were dozens of Moth larvae - and they'd even got under the dog's bed.

I've vacuumed everything to within an inch of its life and even moved the bed so that I could vac all the way under that. Got muscles like Mr Atlas now, but at least I know I covered all the places they could have been hiding.

So, apart from hideous mothballs, has anyone got any environmentally friendly and old style remedies to keep the little blighters at bay?
:hello: I'm very well, considering the state I'm in. :hello:
Weight loss since 2 March 10 : 13lbs

Comments

• laughing_cow
    Options
    You could try Lavender - in bags or oil on wood. Also those pieces of cedar wood.

However if you have carpets I might be able to offer some advice because of what happened to me.

I noticed that I had a moth visit in the built in cupboard in my bedroom. Very kindly they had eaten only my most expensive stuff - cashmere sweaters, silk tops and fine wool trousers _pale_ (They didn't bother with Top Shop and New Look :rolleyes: ). I cleaned with gusto as you have done and put in lavender bags and those hanging cedar wood things.

Months later I discovered more holes (again, only on the posh stuff). By chance I saw a moth flutter up from the floor. I have wooden floors but the base of my built in cupboard was carpeted. The sods were living in the carpet, which I duly chucked out. The lavender and cedar had stopped them going near the top of the wardobe, but they had popped up to get teh bottoms of trousers, so this method wasn't totally foolproof.

Lots of the clothes were not repairable - they munched their way through £800 worth of stuff :eek: (all my lovely 'investment' pieces :rolleyes: )

If you've got carpets you might need to have them thoroughly cleaned. Whatever method you use I'd advise to treat it thoroughly.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi PoshPaws,

Some of the replies on these older threads that might help:

There's a moth in me wardrobe what am I gonna do

Moths

Pink
  • AnjR
    AnjR Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Have been plagued with them this year and agree that the pests do have very expensive tastes - e.g. silk and cashmere. A recent article in my local paper suggested this was affecting others in my area and that dry cleaners were being presented with entire contents of wardrobes to try and rid the problem.

I found that removal of obvious larvae was a start but resorted to a daily scan around the affected room at lightfall to locate young moths. Thereafter, put cedarwood blocks in most drawers and wardrobes and filled an atomiser with water and 10-or-so drops of cedarwood essential oil, spraying it everywhere every couple of days.

Finally, discovered by chance that a black fluffy, furry scarf (popular last winter) was attracting any missed moths to lay their eggs there in preference to anywhere else. It seems that the hatchlings get trapped in the fibres and can be removed easily. Am keeping scarf hung in a prominent spot for insurance now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure