Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

If it's Frugal it must be Wednesday

Options
Years ago we decided to sponsor a child in the Third World through World Vision.

To help our three daughters feel that they were contributing we decided to have a Frugal main meal every Wednesday - with the money saved going towards the monthly donation. (To be honest though they were picky eaters and soon began to look forward to Frugals; baked beans on toast etc. Kids will be kids!).

The girls have grown now up and have families of their own but we continue to sponsor. Currently we are helping a child in Ethiopia.

A Frugal day each week is a great way to save money. And if you'd like to consider sharing with someone for whom baked beans on toast would be a luxury, do take a look at http://www.worldvision.org.uk/
To do is to be (Jean Jaques Rousseau)
To be is to do (Jean Paul Sartre)
Do be do be do (Frank Sinatra)

Comments

• sparklymessygirl
    Options
    This is a great idea! I was looking into this recently and am thinking of sponsoring a child - do you mind my asking, how much interaction have you had with the children you have sponsored?

Sparkly
  • Ebenezer
    Options
    This is a great idea! I was looking into this recently and am thinking of sponsoring a child - do you mind my asking, how much interaction have you had with the children you have sponsored?

Hi Sparkly

From World Vision on the ground we get Annual Progress Reports with updated photos of the child. And we get Christmas and birthday cards to fill in and send with small, generally flat, gifts (larger gifts tend to get 'lost' in Third World post). We also get information updates regarding Development Programmes where the children live - agriculture, health, HIV/AIDS education etc.

It means a lot to the child if you or your children write, but age or language may mean that aid workers write or translate their replies.

Some people do visit their sponsored children.

Haymanot.jpgThis is Haymanot, the little girl we sponsor in Ethiopia
    To do is to be (Jean Jaques Rousseau)
    To be is to do (Jean Paul Sartre)
    Do be do be do (Frank Sinatra)
  • sparklymessygirl
    Options
    Thanks for the info - nice to see the money go to a real person you can feel a connection with, I think.

Sparkly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport